Technical Clicking brake pedal

Currently reading:
Technical Clicking brake pedal

Joanne91

Hi guys - wonder if you can help?

The brake pedal on my Fiat 1.4 Lounge (2008 plate) has developed a "click" noise when I depress it. That's depress as in push it down with my foot rather than tell it sad stories!

Does anyone know what this might be?

I can also hear a very slight "drone" noise which seems to be coming from the back. Even if I slip the car out of gear and freewheel, the drone continues. The pitch varies depending on the speed I am travelling.

The car was bought four months ago from a main Fiat dealership, and has the standard second hand car 12-month warranty.

I love my little motor so I hope it's not developing any serious problems

Any advice much appreciated :worship:

Hi guys - wonder if you can help?

The brake pedal on my Fiat 1.4 Lounge (2008 plate) has developed a "click" noise when I depress it. That's depress as in push it down with my foot rather than tell it sad stories!

Does anyone know what this might be?

I can also hear a very slight "drone" noise which seems to be coming from the back. Even if I slip the car out of gear and freewheel, the drone continues. The pitch varies depending on the speed I am travelling.

The car was bought four months ago from a main Fiat dealership, and has the standard second hand car 12-month warranty.

I love my little motor so I hope it's not developing any serious problems

Any advice much appreciated :worship:
Suspect the drone at the rear is the pads dragging on the discs. Common 1.4 problem.

I would associate droning more with a wheel bearing, most of the rear brake problems seem to mention squealing but perhaps there is a link between the two. I have seen posted that in severe cases the rear pads binding have caused premature wheel bearing failure due to overheating.

Does it get worse/better when cornering?

Thanks both for posting replies so quickly - really appreciate it!

The fact you've mentioned pads sticking has a ring of truth about it. I can't tell whether I'm imagining it or not, but I think the car has lost a bit of it's oomph in terms of acceleration.

I'm not at all mechanically minded, but the "sticking" suggestion is a good description.

In terms of cornering I have not been conscious of any real difference. I will look out for it later on when I'm out and about.

Either way, to be honest, I'd take it back to the dealer and say you're not happy. Explain and be sure-footed enough for them not to just fob you off. You have a warranty period, use it.

I forgot to ask for your opinions about the warranty - I thought brakes etc might not be covered as they'll wriggle out of it by saying it's wear and tear?

Last edited:
I forgot to ask about the warranty - I thought brakes etc might not be covered as they'll wriggle out of it by saying it's wear and tear?

I suppose if you look at the miles you have done in the four months you have had the car (mileage you bought it at will be on invoice), then yes, the dealer might use wear and tear as a reason for not remedying the problem.

If however you've only done say very low miles, (500 miles as an example) since pick up, then you might have a valid issue.

It's worth a try - at least you guys have given me a few ideas as to what the problem is.

Any suggestions for the "click" when pressing on the brake pedal?

Surely the correct answer is that they should not stick regardless of miles?

Absolutely Robin, I couldn't agree more.

There's three choices here though. Take it back to the dealer, politely explain the issue and say you'd like it sorted under the warranty they've sold with the car.
Take it to a local indy, or nationally known does all car repair centre and have it looked at and pay out if required.
Or fix it ones self.

Brakes = safety. I'd get 'em looked at if I wasn't happy. :)

Last edited:
Joanne - I loved your line about sad stories. Can't stop grinning - thanks for that!

You must be great company if you come out with lines like that all the time :)

It's worth a try - at least you guys have given me a few ideas as to what the problem is.

Any suggestions for the "click" when pressing on the brake pedal?

I can only hazard a guess as I am not familiar with the brake light switch operation, i.e. if it is hydraulic or mechanical. If it is mechanical and is actuated by the pedal itself the plunger could be sticky and not releasing properly after the brake pedal has been depressed and then suddenly shooting out.

There might also be a problem with the linkage which has been adapted to work with RHD models. Best suggestion is to get a torch, get your head down into the pedal area, work the pedal by hand and try to ID where the noise is coming from.

...The car was bought four months ago from a main Fiat dealership, and has the standard second hand car 12-month warranty...

What is your understanding of this warranty and did you get any 'small print' or contract stating what was covered ?

My thoughts are that it is worth going back to the Fiat dealer to get the issue assessed for a quotation but not to commit on allowing them to proceed with any work until a trusted independent has an opportunity to quote as well.

As already posted the rear discs on the 1.4 always seem to need a good clean out (this can last for 6 months + & I had this done on the 3rd year wear & tear dealer bit for free) but the last post indicates that something else needs investigating for the 'click'.

Joanne - I loved your line about sad stories. Can't stop grinning - thanks for that!

You must be great company if you come out with lines like that all the time
smile.gif

Haha not sure the Fiat dealer would agree with you! :)

Loveshandbags: I'm going to take your advice! It's going in to a trusted independent garage at the end of this week. Armed with the info I get from that visit, my next stop will be the dealer.

Hopefully bearings are covered. The more I read on the forums the more I'm convicned that's the problem.

Is it a big job for a garage?

Thanks everyone for your help - this site is great.

Last edited:
Hopefully bearings are covered. The more I read on the forums the more I'm convicned that's the problem.

The garage will have the correct pullers etc to take off the bearing, so it is probably a simple enough job for them to do.

The only advice I would personally give is this, I had the nearside front wheel bearing disintegrate on my Primera. I had it replaced at my local trusted independent and all was fine for 11 months. The wheel bearing disintegrated again. I took it to a different garage and he showed me the bearing he took out before he got round to replacing it. The previous garage had put in the cheapest bearing they could lay their hands on. It just wasn't up to the job, despite being the 'correct' wheel bearing for the car. I made the decision to spend about 80 quid if I remember rightly, on a new original Nissan wheel bearing. It survived the rest of the lifetime of the car, which only went to scrap two months or so ago. I would therefore suggest strongly, you think about what make of bearing goes onto your own vehicle. If you use Fiat original, you can't really go wrong from the warranty aspect.

The garage will have the correct pullers etc to take off the bearing, so it is probably a simple enough job for them to do.

The only advice I would personally give is this, I had the nearside front wheel bearing disintegrate on my Primera. I had it replaced at my local trusted independent and all was fine for 11 months. The wheel bearing disintegrated again. I took it to a different garage and he showed me the bearing he took out before he got round to replacing it. The previous garage had put in the cheapest bearing they could lay their hands on. It just wasn't up to the job, despite being the 'correct' wheel bearing for the car. I made the decision to spend about 80 quid if I remember rightly, on a new original Nissan wheel bearing. It survived the rest of the lifetime of the car, which only went to scrap two months or so ago. I would therefore suggest strongly, you think about what make of bearing goes onto your own vehicle. If you use Fiat original, you can't really go wrong from the warranty aspect.
Only thing I'd point out is that Fiat stuff isn't always the best quality. So a reputable after market replacement might be the best. That said, I'd take a Fiat OEM part over a lot of the cheapy stuff that garages might source.

Haha not sure the Fiat dealer would agree with you! :)

Loveshandbags: I'm going to take your advice! It's going in to a trusted independent garage at the end of this week. Armed with the info I get from that visit, my next stop will be the dealer.

If your warranty is anything like mine I doubt that it is covered. A 'Fiat approved used car warranty' would be similar to the Dealer 3rd year which as you have already mentioned excludes 'wear & tear' items.

A price for a Rear wheel hub (click here) and a seperate link for Bearings. Suggest that nothing is bought until you get your 'report'.

Back