Technical Clening/conditioning Vinyl Seats- a suggestion

Currently reading:
Technical Clening/conditioning Vinyl Seats- a suggestion

My "modern" ;) Fiat 500F still has its original seat-covers. Although they are only 49 years old and have weathered reasonably well, through regular use after spending over 40 years in storage, there are a few cracks starting to appear, particularly on the passenger seat, which is strange because it has seen little use.
There is also an unwelcome patina of the ordinary levels of grime which come from using the car, not always in my best trousers. :eek:
In the past I have used some excellent and inevitably expensive products to revive car seats but as a part of my New Year's resolution to save enough money to acquire even more Fiat 500's.;) I looked for a way to clean the seats without spending any money.
Searching the kitchen, my eyes fell upon a cute little spray-bottle of of Filippo Berio extra-virgin olive oil; what could be more Italian and more natural. It's meant to be good for me so it must be good for Murf???:confused:
I put on a tiny amount at a time and rubbed it in and then off with folded kitchen-towel. Each seat took a good few minutes until the paper stopped getting grubby and then a final wipe with a dry towel completed the job.

LIS_0356 by Peter Thompson, on Flickr

What the long-term effects of this action will be on my trousers and on the seats I can only speculate; but for now the interior is not looking bad even though I accept that this is should be expected from a car which is so recently off the production-line. :D
Next task is to try to get the same improvements on my face. :D

PS. Failed in anothEr resolution to get my spelling right...."CLEANING!"

Last edited:
I do worry at times!!!!

Who would walk around the kitchen looking to clean the seats in the car and spot a bottle of olive oil and think ? “that might work”!

I would no doubt find a solution online, that provides a cleaner, followed by a conditioner at £50 per bottle. Only to discover that someone in Scotland was selling olive oil in a posh bottle and calling it “super vinyl cleaner and conditioner”.

I have been told that the wee from the Loch Ness monster will clean anything.
!

It probably would, but is so rare that I believe it is reserved as the "water" part of a very expensive single malt whisky.
I did consider using Irn-Bru but I had used it all up for de-rusting the bumpers.;)
Do you think it would be wise to now neutralise the seats with a dressing of white-wine vinegar and a drop of French mustard? :rolleyes:

I do worry at times!!!!

Who would walk around the kitchen looking to clean the seats in the car and spot a bottle of olive oil and think ? “that might work”!

I would no doubt find a solution online, that provides a cleaner, followed by a conditioner at £50 per bottle. Only to discover that someone in Scotland was selling olive oil in a posh bottle and calling it “super vinyl cleaner and conditioner”.

:D:D:D:D
You're right to worry, but there was a bit of logic to it. On those infrequent occasions when I decide to shave my face I prefer using shaving-oil rather than foam or gel. I used to pay about £4 for a bottle which contained about two teaspoons of blue oil. No problems with that...it worked well, but I was delighted to find that Sainsbury's sold a bigger, spray bottle for £1. The oil isn't blue but it works even better than the posh stuff....main ingredient....olive oil! So working backwards, if it cleans and conditions my ugly mug, with skin like aged vinyl and gives it enough temporary baby's-bum softness to allow me to shave, then there's a chance it works on car seats too.:D:

:D:D:D:D
You're right to worry, but there was a bit of logic to it. On those infrequent occasions when I decide to shave my face I prefer using shaving-oil rather than foam or gel. I used to pay about £4 for a bottle which contained about two teaspoons of blue oil. No problems with that...it worked well, but I was delighted to find that Sainsbury's sold a bigger, spray bottle for £1. The oil isn't blue but it works even better than the posh stuff....main ingredient....olive oil! So working backwards, if it cleans and conditions my ugly mug, with skin like aged vinyl and gives it enough temporary baby's-bum softness to allow me to shave, then there's a chance it works on car seats too.:D:

Ok got it now! :D So the correct process extends beyond the boundaries of the kitchen and includes bathroom activities like shaving? It makes a lot more sense now! :idea:

Ok got it now! :D So the correct process extends beyond the boundaries of the kitchen and includes bathroom activities like shaving? It makes a lot more sense now! :idea:

Yep....it's lateral thinkers like me who advance the progress of the human race.:D:D:D

....and talking of bathrooms, the slippery chemical compounds in some shampoos and conditioners, with long names and slightly harmful properties, are the same chemicals that are found in your purpose-made vinyl conditioners; I wonder which is cheaper?

Anyway it turns out that I'm not the first person to try this as there is plenty of internet info now I've done a bit of research; this cheerful guy is an example.

[ame]https://youtu.be/z-kk1BKzuVc[/ame]

Oooohhhh noooo!!!!!!!! I can’t believe I just watched that!:eek:

I assume there is a requirement to wear sunglasses ? when applying the said olive oil? Is this a health and safety requirement?

With the added bonus that it smells nice and is good for your hands! The steering wheel is probably a little bit slippery afterwards.

Back