cleaning the engine/bay

Currently reading:
cleaning the engine/bay

L

Lee

What is te best way to clean the engine and the bay?

Is there any cleaning pruducts out there to use?

Thanks
Lee

the less water, the better.

Autoglym do an engine cleaner, they also do a motorbike cleaner.

I have used both and obtained good results.

Motorbike stuff can also be used on under-bonnet paintwork so I guess is the safest option. Castrol make a similar product which is ok.

chAvSDA are starting to stock Autoglym products (just the basics) and they've got motorbike cleaner at under £6 which is a saving of about 3 squids.

Coke, vinegar & Water ;)

But the less liquid the better, just dampen a cloth and wipe over...

1p1000801_web.jpg

Daz

steam cleaning is the easiest way. i was well into double figures worth of hours when i was cleaning my 1.4 when i first bought it. it had never been done before. the actual engine block took longest because the top gasket sweats alot of oil, and it had 5 years worth baked on.
If you are washing yourself, get some cling film out and thouroughly wrao any fuseboxes, alternator, battery, and plugs. just the other day i got water in the speedo plug just above the gearbox. went all the way to work (22miles) without knowing my speed or racking up any miles. My odo now reads 22 miles less than it should! (i just blew air on it from a tyre air hose at the petrol station along from my work to cure it)

Buzz (formerly LightWarrior)
The champion of the Bravo 1.4

Thanks lads.

Is there a cleaning fluid you use on a steam clean?

Lee

water

Buzz (formerly LightWarrior)
The champion of the Bravo 1.4

Gunk or more preferably jizer red. Let them soak for 5-10 mins to shift the grot.

Halfs sell gunk, if not try chavworld. Jizer is made by Deb, I'm sure you can get it on the net somewhere.

ok i will go down and have a look again tomorrow.

Cheers people

Lee