Technical Classic VW hazard warning switch

Currently reading:
Technical Classic VW hazard warning switch

Noah500

1971 Fiat 500L LHD
I'm thinking hazard warning lights might be a good idea but most of the options I've seen have very unsightly switches. Hs anyone worked out how to use the classic VW beetle switch, which looks suitably retro and could probably fit in the central blanked off dash hole?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-11-25 at 22-02-21 VW Beetle, Campervan Hazard Warning Light Switch eBay.png
    Screenshot 2021-11-25 at 22-02-21 VW Beetle, Campervan Hazard Warning Light Switch eBay.png
    98.4 KB · Views: 74
Hi @JumpJet Matt - thanks; I had already seen that. The reason for asking specifically about the VW switch is that it has loads of connectors so I'm not sure if (for example) it already has a relay in it.

Any advice based on what it says in the ad? The terminals are apparently 31 (on side), 30, 15, L, R, 49a, 49(+), 58b. This diagram is for a Beetle, if that makes it any easier to understand.
  • L and R, and 31 (earth) are obvious
  • 58b (instrument lighting) is presumably optional
  • 49+ and 49: does 49+ interrupt the input feed to the existing flasher relay and 49 go back to the input of the flasher relay?
  • 15 and 30 both seem to be intended to go to fuses for some reason, not sure which?
If you have time to take a look and make any sense of this, that would be great. Thanks in advance

If I do get this and manage to make it work I'll post a how to :)

Simon

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Hi Simon,

I have fitted that exact switch, took the opportunity when I rewired the car over the first lockdown.

My F has the L ignition switch on the column (so annoyingly I’ve never quite found a wiring diagram which matches the car) so I had the blanking plug in the middle of the dash which it fits perfectly. The connectors are tight behind the dash but it was easily doable to add it into the loom. I’ll dig out my wiring diagram when I get back home from my current trip away.

Hopefully the pictures show it well enough.

Attachments

• 28B7EB9C-F7DE-4C3C-A0A1-73B938B06D56.jpeg
    28B7EB9C-F7DE-4C3C-A0A1-73B938B06D56.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 43
  • F4AC16E5-A399-482A-A88B-FAF34CA8F5C4.jpeg
    F4AC16E5-A399-482A-A88B-FAF34CA8F5C4.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 40
  • B22FFF9D-D13F-4AC1-BAEF-2CCAAA11A174.jpeg
    B22FFF9D-D13F-4AC1-BAEF-2CCAAA11A174.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 39
  • EF9931A0-BCC3-4BE7-8A62-B60B67E64F34.jpeg
    EF9931A0-BCC3-4BE7-8A62-B60B67E64F34.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 34
Hi Simon,

I have fitted that exact switch, took the opportunity when I rewired the car over the first lockdown.

My F has the L ignition switch on the column (so annoyingly I’ve never quite found a wiring diagram which matches the car) so I had the blanking plug in the middle of the dash which it fits perfectly. The connectors are tight behind the dash but it was easily doable to add it into the loom. I’ll dig out my wiring diagram when I get back home from my current trip away.

Hopefully the pictures show it well enough.
@Sbf500 thanks for the reply and the pics. If you could find your wiring diagram that would be great! Did you need to fit an extra relay or is everything just wires and connectors?

Simon

It was wires, connectors and an uprated relay for the four way flasher. It was tricky to find one that matches the shape of the original and the only change I would make is that the relay I used also dimly illuminates the green repeater in the way your hazard light does when I’m a normal car when you turn on the ignition which is built into the VW switch so it’s a bit redundant and also just slightly annoying.

It was wires, connectors and an uprated relay for the four way flasher. It was tricky to find one that matches the shape of the original and the only change I would make is that the relay I used also dimly illuminates the green repeater in the way your hazard light does when I’m a normal car when you turn on the ignition which is built into the VW switch so it’s a bit redundant and also just slightly annoying.
OK, thanks. I've just ordered one. If you can post your wiring diagram on here when you're back I'll give it a go!

Simon

I don't know that unit, but I bought a generic setup which was an integrated hazard warning switch and relay which works independently of the existing flasher relay. The wiring is as follows:

negative - BLACK
positive + RED
1 wire to left hand indicator circuit BLUE
1 wire to right hand indicator circuit BLUE

There may or may not be something useful in that, but it shows a principle which may help in your situation.

Last edited:
@Sbf500 (and anyone else!). I've been looking at the various wiring diagrams and it seems like the original Fiat flasher unit is only rated to cope with indicators on one side (2x21W and 1x5W) so I will need to replace it with one capable of both sides (i.e. hazards). Would something like this do the trick? It seems to have the same terminals as the original and is rated for 4x21W plus 2x5W.

btw I wasn't exactly clear what was the issue with the VW switch and the green repeater (do you mean the green light that flashes when the indicators are going)? Could one of the connections from the VW switch just be left off?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-12-02 at 08-45-31 12V 98W 4 PIN HAZARD INDICATOR FLASHER UNIT RELAY AS LUCAS S...png
    Screenshot 2021-12-02 at 08-45-31 12V 98W 4 PIN HAZARD INDICATOR FLASHER UNIT RELAY AS LUCAS S...png
    186.6 KB · Views: 24
Hi Noah

Yes it’s the green repeater on the dash. I got a new relay fro. Car builder solutions that was a four way flash that was the same shape as the original but it is designed (although) it doesn’t say to give you the dim illumination to your hazard switch all the time which I didn’t know so my green light on the dash glows dimly when I turn the ignition on. The VW switch has this function built in. Easy to rectify though.

So my wiring diagram is attached, any cable colour with a star next to it is new wiring and without is original loom just maybe connected to a different location than originally planned.

On the flasher unit I would add the repeater wire to the green light on the dash to the + terminal on the flasher to get it to work only when needed instead of dimly glowing and then flashing properly when indicators or hazards are used.

You couldn’t connect it to terminal 58b as this already has a resistor built in so would be doubly dim. You might also want 58b to be powered direct from the ignition so Fuse A green wire on my diagram so it is always dimly on and not just when the lights are on.

Hope that helps. Give me a shout if not.

Al

Attachments

• FC39A841-DA00-4EDF-A543-E58861EA56C0.jpeg
    FC39A841-DA00-4EDF-A543-E58861EA56C0.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 35
  • C3224305-9761-4467-AB7D-D0B4FB61D256.jpeg
    C3224305-9761-4467-AB7D-D0B4FB61D256.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 33
Reactions: ben
@Sbf500 Hi Al, thanks very much for this. I do have a couple of questions:
  1. "On the flasher unit I would add the repeater wire to the green light on the dash to the + terminal on the flasher" do you mean connect it to + instead of to P, or as well as to P?
  2. Is the white/black wire from the turn switch to 49A the original b/w wire which was previously connected to L on the flasher unit?
  3. Are the blue/black wires from terminal 15 to Fuse B (top) and the wiper (?) switch (bottom) the original wires that according to my diagram would have been connected to the + terminal of the flasher relay?
  4. Terminal 58b link to instrument light switch - is it so that the switch (does it contain a telltale?) is lit up when the instruments lights are on?
  5. Not sure if you chose a round flasher relay just because it looks more original? I looked on CBS and found this but it is 84W max so would only cover 4x21W and not the 2x5W side repeaters. There is also this one at 224W!! but it is transparent plastic and looks a bit odd. Otherwise would the relay I showed do the trick?
I may have more questions... ;)

Simon

Last edited:
Hi Simon

No worries happy to clarify my scribbles.

1. Yes I’d move it from the P terminal to the + but that is just because of the low level illumination I get which is fine just annoying. Would depend on what ever really you use is set up like. I think the one I used was specifically for hazards only but it does work the indicator just fine.

2. Yes it is.

3. Yes

4. Yes it illuminates using the same bulb which flashes when you pull the switch. There is a built in resister which makes it glow dimly and not full strength. I chose to connect it to the switch for the instrument cluster just because the VW wiring diagram had it coming on with the lights but you could have it just off an ignition feed also.

5. Yeah just went for round to keep it a bit more stock looking and it kept the click as not all relays have an audible click. Any one would do really so long as it is a 4 way flash. You’ll want to make sure you feed wire that you add in for power for the hazards when ignition isn’t on is man enough for the job of all lights flashing also.

Hope that helps
Al

Al - thanks for the quick response.

Is the "feed wire that you add in for power for the hazards when ignition isn’t on" the one from Fuse A to terminal 30?

Other than that, I think I've got enough to be going on with

Simon

@Sbf500 thanks to your help I've made up wires with connectors for most of the connections I will need. I still need to get a flasher relay but I think I've identified one that will do the trick.

As a slight aside, I found that the blanked off hole in the middle of the dashboard is actually too big to hold the retaining ring of the switch, so I got a steel washer of the right diameter, drilling out the centre, then polished and lacquered it.

Just one more question (for now...): where did you tap into the existing left and right indicator circuits? Just trying to work out how much wire I need and where to route them.

Simon

Last edited:
@Sbf500 thanks to your help I've made up wires with connectors for most of the connections I will need. I still need to get a flasher relay but I think I've identified one that will do the trick.

As a slight aside, I found that the blanked off hole in the middle of the dashboard is actually too big to hold the retaining ring of the switch, so I git a steel washer of the right diameter, drilling out the centre, then polished and lacquered it.

Just one more question (for now...): where did you tap into the existing left and right indicator circuits? Just trying to work out how much wire I need and where to route them.

Simon
Ah as I was re-wiring a right hand drive car I needed to extend the left hand drive loom so it was done at the reconnection point which I conveniently did at the left and right terminals on the switch.

OK, thanks to the help I've received on here I've got hazards! Before I post a 'final' set of info and pics,
@Sbf500 Al - Everything worked as per your clarified wiring diagram except that when I linked the purple wire to the X terminal on the flasher unit instead of the P as originally, the green indicator light on the instrument cluster stays on bright all the time, so it doesn't flash off when the indicators or flashers are on. I reverted to putting the purple wire onto the P terminal and, as you found, it is now on dim when the flashers are not on, and flashes brighter when indicators/hazards are on.

Could you take a look at my wiring diagram to see if I have cocked anything up?

Worst case, I'll leave it as you have with the telltale dimly lit even when the flashers aren't on, though it would be nice to resolve it ;)

Attachments

• 2021-12-11 14 Fiat 500L hazard lights.JPG
    2021-12-11 14 Fiat 500L hazard lights.JPG
    185.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 2021-12-11 10 Fiat 500L hazard lights wiring diagram.jpg
    2021-12-11 10 Fiat 500L hazard lights wiring diagram.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 29
Back