photo-1_1_.jpg

Panda (Classic) Classic Panda Bianca, Full Restoration.

Introduction

Today we began a full resto on "Apple" our 1987 Bianca model...:D

Found a paint sprayer with a yard big enough for us to strip out the car to a shell which is what we did..and 7 hours later Heike and me stripped every nut, grommet and bolt off the car.

We will get the engine out tomorrow so the bay can be re-sprayed (thanks for that Vern!..;)) and then clean and replace bits on that once out.

We have lots of new stuff to put on like bumpers, grille and wheel trims which will also get sprayed white.

The underneath will also be done as well as the inside...so should be complete and perfect..:D...(y)

The major surprise was just how fantastic the condition of the car was...:eek:..even the front valance and the inside of the front and rear wheel arches which everything removed showed no signs or rust!!

New suspension, brake parts etc etc...will be dug out the cellar and fitted..if needed or not....so there we are....pictures of the resto will follow as time goes by and all being well it should be done in about two weeks. Then off the the trimmers to have new twin sunnys fitted.

Now the car will not be worth the money which is going to be spent on it, but, It is a car we intend to keep forever and is the model which I originally had in the eighties... Wish us luck...:)

Now this car
Re: Full restoration begins...

hmmm, worryingly, that's more than I've ever paid for a whole car.. Knowing what the wife paid to get a few panels done after our keying incidents though, sounds well worth the price.

yeah the finished product is all in the preparation when it comes to painting anything.

I would expect if you can do all the prep work your self then you will save a whole bundle of cash.

Looking good Kev (y). If I can get my Mk1 done for that sort of money I'd be happy too :), you are ending up with a 'good as new' shell after all.

Hiya, long time no post... Loving the idea that the Bianca's been living in sin with a testarossa for the few weeks preceding the makeover;) I'm looking forward to seeing this one in the flesh. Lizzie's gonna be the ugly duckling just like Sparky was way back when you guys were rocking pandas that were only marginally less than perfect... I'm gonna buy me a clay bar, some waxoyl and press gang myself a 3 year old to polish the car!! All the best guys and well done Kev! The only way things achieve high value is if people value them highly... I think you are doing all of us Panda drivers a favour with this resto. Thanks!!!!!! :)

Last edited:

Thanks for the comments and encouragement guys..... I am getting the stuff together and will be starting this week proper.

Bought a carpet/rug today..will put this under the car to lay underneath in comfort and place things on keeping them clean...:D...Cant believe the things I do..:eek:

Last edited:

Oh dear a RUG.
A syrup of figs may be more use to keep your ears warm old man
Happy Frostbite
Dave

Now the car will not be worth the money which is going to be spent on it, but, It is a car we intend to keep forever and is the model which I originally had in the eighties... Wish us luck...:)

Now this car

Kev sorry, iv'e been meaning to add to this thread and am only getting round to it now. That's the only reason you need, how much doesn't matter. Hats off to you Sir. I'm enjoying following how your getting on(y)

Few restos taking off of late and great to see.

Project looks brill, I defiantly understand the time and money that has been/will be spent on this so far. Have you bought a new from grille? I'm trying to get hold of the Fiat badge that sits inside the grille as mine is old and tired, can anyone help on this matter?

Been working on the car most days and will take some pics tomorrow...

The paint shop will have the doors, tailgate and bonnet ready on Thursday..jeez they really have dragged their heels!..:bang:

I have spent a hell of a lot of time sorting through the box of bits they gave to me after they took the engine, steering, wiring, brakes and rad out..it's been a nightmare and I wish I had done it and put all the bit/nuts and bolts in bags with labels as I did with everything I took off.....I will never let anyone do that again!

Anyway...the wiring, steering and brakes are back in.

I have spent alot of time cleaning and painting items black...even rusty bolt heads. Larger items like the pedal box and new rear brake drums have also been re-painted.

The engine and gearbox have been sent off to be soda blasted and will be back at the end of next week....

So there will be lots of pics soon

Yes, letting someone else take it apart was a brave move :D, but hayho, sounds like it's going back together nicely. Did you find someone local for the soda blasting Kev?

Yes, letting someone else take it apart was a brave move :D, but hayho, sounds like it's going back together nicely. Did you find someone local for the soda blasting Kev?

Yes Vern....about 30mins away. I'm a little worried as they don't usually do engines...more like commercial stuff. They did say that one of the guys was an engineer and has classic cars so it's fingers crossed.

Will take some pics tomorrow of shiny new and old stuff... Oh..and the doors, bonnet etc arrived.

I would also like some HELP as I have some bits that I can't indentify..:bang:

God I'm getting very fussy about every bit I'm putting on..I'm doing stupid things like buying new outside fresh air vents... even though I have four pairs..just because they are quite cheap...got to stop doing it..:eek:

God I'm getting very fussy about every bit I'm putting on..I'm doing stupid things like buying new outside fresh air vents... even though I have four pairs..just because they are quite cheap...got to stop doing it..

No Kev I think you've got the right idea, what's the old saying about sinking the ship for a ha'porth of tar?

Back