panda_MOT.jpg

Panda (Classic) Classic Panda 100HP Sleeper

Introduction

Modified 1994 FIAT Panda with the brief of making a fast road car that looks standard and drives nice enough to use as an everyday car. Also needs to be cheap to insure and efficient with fuel.

Modification Summary
2003 FIAT Punto 1368cc 16v FIRE engine
Gearbox from the same with a Quaife ATB LSD fitted
Engine and body ECU retained and custom loom made to fit
All aspects of engine management including Fly-by-wire throttle and Punto instrument panel utilised
ECU remapped to 126BHP at Red Dot Racing
Supersprint tubular manifold allied to standard Panda Selecta twin-silencer exhaust
Lightened flywheel
Standard Selecta brakes with EBC "Greenstuff" pads
SPAX lowering springs (-35mm)
Bilstein gas dampers
Lancia Y10 anti-roll bar
Lower suspension brace
165/65r13 Yokohama A.drive tyres on Punto Mk1 SX steels (5" wide)
Uno Turbo wheels with 175/50r13 Yokohama A048s for trackdays
Lancia Y10 centre console and gear change mechanism
Lancia Y10 seats throughout
Cinquecento Sporting steering wheel

Large build thread is here

Performance (before remap and LSD)
15.8 1/4 mile
7.2 seconds 0-60

panda_MOT.jpg

engine_bay5.jpg
dash11.jpg
dash21.jpg
IMG_02381.jpg
rear_spax.JPG
rear_suspension.JPG
quaife_lsd.jpg
panda_dyno.jpg

Couple of videos (without LSD)

Also, you would have to be quite handy with gearboxes if you wanted to go over 20MPH to improve on the standard system.

I don't think supply of engines is a problem anymore. 1368cc 16v engines are used in lots of cars. It's the fuelling solutions that most people are scared of. Cento and Punto enthusiast tend to find megasquirting/ injection tech easier than your average Panda owner so more have done conversions into their cars, where it is actually trickier in some respects.

Link to £300 Stilo engine (identical to one I used) on eBay: eBay auction

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
4x4 systems aint my strong point Craig! could say a, SJ410 centre diff be fitted?

A 1.4 lump with a 4x4 system would... in theory.. give you superb traction from take off.. in theory!

I`ve got no idea what your hard accelerations like as far as tractions concerned lewey, but surely 4wd with 2 quaifes would help? (another theory!)

And another theory is the ability to bias it to the rear via ratios to reduce understeer..

I`m good at my theories.. lack of money, time & room means I rarely get to do `practical` :D

Cornering traction is the biggest problem in reality. Mostly sorted with an LSD. You need to make a lot of power to be entertaining a 4x4 fast panda. As discussed, it is literally not possible to use Panda 4x4 running gear as it is not a high-speed system. You are basically talking about an entirely fabricated bespoke 4x4 system able to take decent power and have a quantity of LSDs. Sounds nice. Someone has done this in the form a Lancia Y10 with Delta Integrale running gear including 2 litre turbo engine. It's called the Yintegrale.

Lots of info can be found here. Click on "My Y10 Integrale" and use the not so obvious left and right arrows at the bottom of each page to scroll though - tonnes of pages and photos. If this doesn't put you off the idea, nothing will!

The creator, Trevor Nicossia is wearing shades in this picture.

Yintergrale.jpg

Congratulations on what is possibly the most impressive Panda i've seen. I LOVE the idea of a Q-Car!!!
Was it difficult getting the Punto intrumentaion in? :slayer:

Congratulations on what is possibly the most impressive Panda i've seen. I LOVE the idea of a Q-Car!!!
Was it difficult getting the Punto intrumentaion in? :slayer:
The instrumentation was easy to get in, in that I just took it out of the Punto bezel and put it in the dash. I still have a half-finished proper bezel/ valance panel in the garage that I don't seem to get round to doing.

It's the rest of the wiring so that it displays anything that'll kill you! The dashboard was a logical decision to include after I had done all the wiring for the ECUs anyway, but was not the main reason for using the Punto electronics.

If you've connected it to the electronics i'm guessing the trip computer won't work i.e MPG, time driving etc because you haven't got the buttons to operate it - same with the external temperature display?

I think your instruments are the best mod i've seen on here (y)

If you've connected it to the electronics i'm guessing the trip computer won't work i.e MPG, time driving etc because you haven't got the buttons to operate it - same with the external temperature display?

I think your instruments are the best mod i've seen on here (y)
Cheers. The trip computer, MPG and speedo don't work as they require input from complex ABS sensors with the 1.4 16v ECUs. I would have integrated the ABS sensors but it proved practically impossible due to the multi-polar design of the (wheel) bearings used to trigger the sensors and the lack of technical knowledge from FIAT to have custom ones made, even if actually possible to do so. I use the digital SPA motorsport speedo you can see in the foreground instead and the speedo just lies dead. It records time between speeds or distance like 1/4 mile. It will be integrated into the dial set when I get round to it.

I wish I had the mechanical knowledge and experience to do things like this!
Really impressed with this Panda and hats off to you for having the skill and vision to pull it off Lewey :worship:

punto's gauge in it? I like that it looks from the outside like every other panda. nobody guesses what's underneath

Went to Mallory Park this weekend. Battery ran out in onboard camera before leaving the pits which is such a shame as the onboard would have been superb, particularly around gerards with the car moving like it did.

I fitted a 6-speed box and I am using the LSD for my new Panda Turbo project that I am planning.

The new box does seem more right with the engine and really keeps it on the boil when you are pushing on. The car feels faster. Annoying that 6th gear is lower than 5th gear in the old box slightly, but I knew it would be. First is now a bit low. Find myself pulling off in 2nd with a few more revs than normal instead of using it to avoid wheel spin festival on wet roads. Obviously the ratios were designed for larger diameter tyres, where they would be ideal. I can't fit larger tyres really. I am just getting used to the idea of going into 6th, but still hesitate sometimes. Old habits die hard. Most popular gear combos when accelerating from standstill to above 40MPH are 2nd to 4th to 6th. Wierd!

I think the new box actually adds a bit of silliness to the proceedings which I quite enjoy.

My old Panda Fizz has just about had enough and the Oil light keeps blinking at low revs So... I thought i'd stick 1.2 lump in it after some rather funny discussions with insurance people i finally got a sensible quote ,only another fifty quid to drop a 1.2 16v super fire lump in.

Or do i just keep it simple and go for 1.2 with an 8v head single point injection lump which would basically just involve swapping the engines hooking up all the wires and driving out the workshop .

So many choices, of course i want the 16v MPEFI but is it a nightmare im setting my self up for ! whatever i do needs to be as quick and as cheap as possible really as this is my main transport.

I Look forward to all advice and workarounds that help make this a reality instead of a pipe dream :)

Find a 1.2 16v from a Mk1 Punto and use the ECU and everything (6 wires into loom or something). Will require a little chunk out of the big square air box on the bulkhead. Also need a higher flow fuel pump to install any MPI engine. No other parts required. Make your own thread and put pics in. Good luck.

Hmmmm, what be this now. Planning on joining the elite panda turbo club? :devil: Is it abarth 500 meets classic panda? :slayer: I might have a hard time keeping up with that now :rolleyes: lol

Si
I'm knocking about in an actual 100HP Panda I bought at Christmas. I've had a plan to turbo one of these for a while. It's a slow burner and I'm doing the engine last after all the suspension, brakes, interior, etc. See here. More pressing is the completion of the Uno Turbo project.

I'm done with classic Panda modding for now. I drove mine the other day after having left it for a month and remembered how ridiculously quick and fun it was. I would need to have an idea that would make for something significantly better than that to even contemplate another Panda, but the bar is set very high in terms of the measured high performance and reliability I enjoy from the Classic 100HP Panda.

I hope that this summer there will be a chance to race yours at an event somewhere.

Back