Class D?

Currently reading:
Class D?

Hi all, I'm looking at buying a new car that has to be a 5 door due to my child being born soon, I've found a nice looking black VW Golf, which was previously a Cat D write off, and apparently has no airbags in both driver and passanger sides. It's up for £4000 but how much would it be to repair, and is there any legal work involved to repair them?

Thanks

Hi all, I'm looking at buying a new car that has to be a 5 door due to my child being born soon, I've found a nice looking black VW Golf, which was previously a Cat D write off, and apparently has no airbags in both driver and passanger sides. It's up for £4000 but how much would it be to repair, and is there any legal work involved to repair them?

Thanks

you dont say the age or what other damage is done on the car
how would people tell you the cost to repair?

i would never buy a car thats been a write off... whatever the category... i guess its because you dont know what the structure of it could be like.. but then im no expert tbh :)

£4000 for a 5 year old car with unknown accident damage, and a potential big repair cost?

You could have a nearly new Bravo, max 2 1/2 years old for not a lot more, or a GP 5 door for the same - neither with the issue of being an insurance writeof. Have you looked into insuring a CAT D car, and what would they pay out in the event of an accident?

My Stilo Schumacher is 05 and only cost £4000 after repairs of minor body work scratches.
Golfs just arent worth the money that they sell for IMO.
They are no less reliable than Fiats, do similar milages but cost a packet more :bang:

Can also be harder to insure then harder to sell on...

i would never buy a car thats been a write off... whatever the category... i guess its because you dont know what the structure of it could be like.. but then im no expert tbh :)

what about stolen/recovered?

undamaged example but all thats needed is a new set of keys?

OP, I'd be finding out why airbag system hasn't been repaired as they're not that hard, so is probably hiding something (n)

And you'll need to notify insurance, as they are no longer covering the car as its origional risk (capable of deploying airbags and protecting occupants).

I would get a full RAC check before hand also to check the structure (y)

what about stolen/recovered?

undamaged example but all thats needed is a new set of keys?

:yeahthat: We've 2 stolen / recovered cars in the household. No issues.

but that could still have been bumped up and down kerbs etc etc

Just like most cars ;)

In general cars will take alot of abuse short term! (as in red lining them and driving on their limit etc).

Last Feb I brought a CAT-C 2004 Panda fully road going for £1500. Had been stolen recovered, and subject to vandalism, but was all fixed up. Not had a single issue with the car to date (y)

so what fired the airbags?
do you mean the damage is repaired and all thats left is the airbags?
Dunno, and yes.

£4000 for a 5 year old car with unknown accident damage, and a potential big repair cost?

You could have a nearly new Bravo, max 2 1/2 years old for not a lot more, or a GP 5 door for the same - neither with the issue of being an insurance writeof. Have you looked into insuring a CAT D car, and what would they pay out in the event of an accident?
Don't want a Bravo, the back is ugly, and I don't want a 5 door GP no power.

My Stilo Schumacher is 05 and only cost £4000 after repairs of minor body work scratches.
Golfs just arent worth the money that they sell for IMO.
They are no less reliable than Fiats, do similar milages but cost a packet more :bang:
Too much to insure for me.

The only reason I want one is because they tend to hold their value too.

The only reason I want one is because they tend to hold their value too.

I would question the validity of this statement when it comes to a car that is a Cat D write off. I suppose it would be worth more than a Cat D stilo but still its gonna be much harder to shift than one that has a clean record especially as Golfs are very common.

Avoid it. Try flea bay for a golf. I'd always advise buying cars on condition. Also, I recently wrote off my Alfa gtv by hitting a kerb and ripping both front wheels, upper and lower suspension arms off without the airbags going off. It takes quite a smack to make them fire. Walk away unless you know the damage, who fixed it and you feel real confident of it holding together.

Last edited:
Back