Currently reading:
General Cinqy problem

Tabblink182

Civic type-r Driver
Ive been complaining like a granny about my mpg being really bad

no leaks on tank or on the throttle body connections

and it was so puzzling because i kept getting a petrol smell in the car

ive been concerntrating and i smell it really bad after a left turn

ive found out that its pissing out of the petrol cap as i can see it running down the car and the whole inside of the petrol flap is saoked

quick question then

is it a common fault at all ?

is the standard cinq petrol cap unlocked my the ignition key ?

if not i have a aftermarket one

its locking but with a seprate key

ive also had a look at the cap and it seems to have no seal of any kind ?

:(

check under your cap, do you have a bit that covers the hole where you put the petrol pump nozzle down, it sort of springs back when you take the nozzle out, as I have the very same problem in my cinq atm, and i believe someone has syphoned it in the past, breaking this spring cover off and leaving petrol free to come rushing back up the pipe and out of the cap!:(

Lenny

It shouldn't be sealed by the little flappy thing, it should be sealed by the cap itself. Yes it should be the same key as the ignition....but.....all the ones i've seen have had a really ropey looking seal on them. Mine has but it still seals, the other one I've got has got "worn petrol cap seal" as an advisory on the last 6 mot sheets!
As for replacing it, I'm sure I remember reading somewhere on here that there are about 4 different types of cap and that they don't interchange. Anyone?

I have no "flappy thing"

although i do know that the cap is making a seal, when i go to fill up and undo my cap there is a big air rush through the tank, although after everytime i drive it there is etrol leaking down the side of my car and it is soaked behind the bodywork flap

:/

grrrrr

suspect its a bigger issue

getting it serviced soon ill ask him to have a look at the problem also

il let you guys know (y)

New info, after a closer inspection i have found a hole :eek:

next to the filler cap, looks like its been drilled out with a 2 or 3mm bit

tampered, is that why i have an aftermarket petrol cap too ?

doesnt the standard one open with the main ignition key ?

maybe this is why im loosing fuel ?

but then it still woudlt explain why the fuel consumption is really bad from half tank to empty

surly it cant come out of there even on a sharp left hand turn ???

any help would be greatly appreitiated

:bang:

SS850089.jpg

SS850090.jpg

SS850093.jpg

SS850092.jpg

no that hole is meant to be there im 99% sure... well if its not mine has it too :p

Thats defo a aftermarket cap... to be honest i'd question if there is a fault with the cap because it looks nothing like the cinq one? :confused:

but yet its making a seal fine, every time you take it off the air woosh's out as the tanks been put under pressure from the pump (i guess)

so it is making a seal, so then why is it getting soaked with petrol in there behind the cody work flap ?

hmm

and why is my mpg so bad !

*cry's*

Last edited:
Sounds to me like there is leak on either the filler pipe or the side of the tank. I would remove the arch trim and have a look and see if the filler pipe is fitted correctly. Also remember that centos have had issues with fuel tank seam breaking in the past. I am sure someone will confirm but I am sure I read on her that some were recalled due to tank problems.

As well as low MPG though this is bloody dangerous, petrol and anything that causes ignition could well mean too much heat on that car!!!

Get it checked out quick if I were you.

Tone.

Sorry forgot to say this on my previous post. The reason your MPG is so bad is because you are chucking fuel all over the road. Possibly for every gallon that is burnt in the engine a gallon is dripping down the road. I would def say it is a leak of some sort.

Tone

well there is no leak at all

after the car is stood for a night, nothing on the floor

i even left it running for 10 minuetes, and nothing on the floor

no leak :/

maybe my engine is just badly out of tune

and hasnt had a air filter or oil change in years

ill ctach a service and update

but then it still woudlt explain why the fuel consumption is really bad from half tank to empty

The explanaition for that is the guage. It's very normal for Cinqs and Seis to read optimistic at thetop of the guage (even to the point where the needle won't move for the first 100 miles!) and then to come down quickly in the last half. In fact, cars that don't do this are the exception.

lol i think my cinq was stood a while before i used it, the mpg seems to be getting better

now much better after a tank of v-power, some new magnetec oil and some of that redline stuff you put in with the fuel

(y)

if it's been standing for a while and/or just been a shopping run car get the car serviced, get engine nice and warm then take it for decent spirited drive with plenty of visitations to the 5k rpm area of the tacho ;)

your tank flappy thing looks like it could be from an old metro!! it looks very rusty, but thats not where the tank seals anyway

My cinq has a small cap like that pictured, on a smaller, seperate key -is that not standard then? should it be the same ignition key?

You can buy a new tank filler cap from any reputable autofactors, will come with key too, the cap should have rubber seal and do just that - seal.

Take the advice of your mot 'advice', you cant mess or ignore fuel problems, its your car and ass on the line if it goes up in flames, and well, IMO if your miles from nowhere when you call the Fire Brigade then by the time they get to you, your mates will be calling you cinders! THINK!!

Are you sure its not leaking from somewhere else?
My Cinq got recalled for petrol tank leakage problems and I had to get a new one fitted.

My Seicento suffesred exactly the same problem - but I had to pay for that one myself!!

not leaking what so ever

anayway

its getting much better

im getting nearly 250 miles to a tank and its improving,

it was just stood fore a while i think

cinsider this closed

Back