Cinquecento Sprt. Dificult Gear Changing

Currently reading:
Cinquecento Sprt. Dificult Gear Changing

mgbgt

A female friend of mine is having a problem with a recentley bought 2nd hand cinquecento sport and not geting much help from the garage that sold it. I drove it yesteday the first few changes were ok but it quickly became a fight to get it into gear. No sound of grating gears , but clutch does seem to have very little movement and feels very stiff and heavy.
Is this a known problem? Can't understand why it got worse after driving only a half a mile.
Any body had simmilar experience
Regards
martin

Probably your clutch then mate.
You could try and adjust it first to see if that makes a difference.
Has the car got some sort of warranty, if so the garage should fix it.

"The Not so Fast but Furious"

See what happens if you drive it gently, rather than foot to the floor [:0]

I don't think it's the same 'box, but my daughters Panda has as nice a change on a Panda as I've met - after she's been driving it (gently).
When I've been "getting the cobwebs out [}:)] " it all gets awkward and obstructive after the first few sets of changes up and down.

I'm fairly sure this difference after a bit of "use" is down to wear, and whereabouts (sideways!) on the main shaft/secondary shaft the thrust moves the cogs and synchro parts. If you have a portion of bearing surface which is worn "stepped" instead of smooth, it may be difficult to get the synchroniser to slide onto (or off) that gear off the other one (I.E. 1st to 2nd, or 3rd to 4th).
If you're not pushing too hard, perhaps the bits stay where they aught (and "out of the groove" so to speak).

That Panda 'box had run for an unknown mileage with _no_ oil before we got it (split boots), but is still soldiering on 8K miles later (with the new boots and correct FIAT oil).

All the above is just guesswork, BTW :D

And probably the kiss of death for the 'box described ;)

Back