General Cinq advice

Currently reading:
General Cinq advice

Looking for a first car for a 18 year old..

Must be up for some cross North York Moors on a daily basis, but above all affordable.

Best quotes on a 97/98 cinq are around £1100 for an S or £1400 for a Sporting. Are these reasonable?

What should we be looking for when buying? How much should we be looking at spending?

how much do you have to spend?
cinqs are very cheap now so get the best you can.
£800 is plenty and probably a good bit less.
theres a buyers guide plus other bits n bobs in the stickys.
cylinder head
handbrakes
accident repairs(often rust as no galv')
boot leaks
worn rear engine mount(noghtmare ot source just now)
red key

think thats the basics.
fairly simple cars

About £800.. Had a quick look through the sticky on buying advice.. think it needs a bit of a tidy through ;)

Would the 899 be upto cross moor journeys?

my 899 would go 60 miles round trip a day across the moors ( scary scottish moors too!)
drove to donninton castle n back,drove to leeds n brum n back, to stoke n back n drove all the way to london (all within a year lol) , with absolutely no problems, never stutterd, never over heated, great wee cars!! ( n i didnt do anything with the engine, topped up the oil once or twice had 80k)£800 is an expensive 899, id say £500 tops for a gud un, (y)

re the red key. imo you don't actually need it, but it a lot of people think it is very very important, so if its missing, use it as a bargaining chip to get the price down :D

Looking for a first car for a 18 year old..

Must be up for some cross North York Moors on a daily basis, but above all affordable.

Best quotes on a 97/98 cinq are around £1100 for an S or £1400 for a Sporting. Are these reasonable?

Is this insurance qoutes or purchase qoutes?

My sei is still for sale and i could be negotiated into the prices qouted above, if its purchase prices you have been qouted. And you wouldnt need to worry bout red key etc

ive owned both an 899 SX and a 1.1 sporting both are a hell of a lot of fun and perfect for country lane/moors blasts, the mk2 899 Sx's are the same spec as a sporting (electric windows, central locking, colour coded bumpers all red rear lights etc) and are noticeably cheaper to insure if youve got the money extra every year for insurance get the sporting but in genral i find their more likely to have been thrashed and trashed but there is some baragains out their that need tidying up for this reason and are so good buys IMO

an 899 is just as much fun though

wayne

Back