Technical Choosing the right shock absorber part number

Currently reading:
Technical Choosing the right shock absorber part number

Ashx

I have got a Tempra - Great classic, perfect for driving to the sunset on the weekend once i repair and restore her properly ! (And have pics if you are interested)

Tempra 1.6 i.e. - 1995 - 159B9.000 engine

In any case, it needs new shock absorbers and i have hard time to find a part number reference manual, where i can find the exact part number. Looking online by the car model i see many different absorbers with different numbers, but not clear which ones i need

(I have the Porter manual file, and could not find the part number there either)

Help is greatly appreciated

Are you after front back or both? I usually start with eBAy they usually quote part numbers and the manufacturers origianl part number, Look at 2 or three suppliers. KYB-europe.com have a catalogue on line which I am pretty sure will guide you to the OEM part mumber. Once you have these numbers you can type the OEM number into google and it will come up with options. My preference is for Bilstein as the best quality or Monro which also seem very good. I used KYB on my Panda 100 and they worked well but I see failed the MOT after just 4 years (after I had sold the car) so I wouldnt acttually recomend them. If I know which you require I have a look for you.

There will be various numbers quoted expect to need a front L and a front Right so two mumbers there, and rears with a single number,

Then there are different grades oil or gas filled so the range of numbers scoots upwards.

Good news is there are fronts from Magnetti Marelli on sale for 42 euros so a decent make and a good price. Best bet is to find a supplier and just ask, I think the KYB numbers are 333749 which I believe is F Left and 324848 F Right there is only one rear listed 444100. KYB do three grades depending if you want basic, gasfilled or high performance so lots of numbers. Lots of makes listed for your car.

e.g. https://spareto.com/products/magneti-marelli-shock-absorber/350771070700

Thanks guys !

I found the Fiat part number, now looking where to get them (recommendations will be welcome)

Also, how are compatible parts from the manufacturers Magneti Marelli and Monroe in quality compared to the original ones ? (Some places i found only stock the compatibles and not originals)

What i need from them ?

To work correctly, last, and not require mods to either the absorber or the car to install. In short to be same as the original Fiat absorbers

I have got a Tempra - Great classic, perfect for driving to the sunset on the weekend once i repair and restore her properly ! (And have pics if you are interested)

Tempra 1.6 i.e. - 1995 - 159B9.000 engine

In any case, it needs new shock absorbers and i have hard time to find a part number reference manual, where i can find the exact part number. Looking online by the car model i see many different absorbers with different numbers, but not clear which ones i need

(I have the Porter manual file, and could not find the part number there either)

Help is greatly appreciated
I used to own one 1.6, the one with the digital dashboard and a/c. Great car, I really miss it.

I used to own one 1.6, the one with the digital dashboard and a/c. Great car, I really miss it.
Me too but the 1.8ie. Upgraded the shocks and springs as well with Koni front Struts - 8741-1189SP Sport and Koni rear shock absorbers - 8040-1079SP Sport. Left the stock springs asis. Vastly improved handling.

Me too but the 1.8ie. Upgraded the shocks as well with Koni front Struts - 8741-1189SP Sport and Koni rear shock absorbers - 8040-1079SP Sport. Left the stock springs asis. Vastly improved handling.
NOTE! - Warning!

On the Tempra1.8ie the standard springs are incredibly long uncompressed and when one of my clamps slipped I got manacled to the spring with a clamp either side of my wrist and the spring forming a loop/bow. Nearly had to call the fire brigade but as shock was setting in with the help of the wife we manage to grease my wrist up, then insert some heady duty polythene between my skin and the clamps thus allowing her to unwind the clamp screws avoiding the screw threads from cutting into my wrists which they did do when I first tried to unwind them . NEVER again!

My one an only major car maintenance injury!

NOTE! - Warning!

On the Tempra1.8ie the standard springs are incredibly long uncompressed and when one of my clamps slipped I got manacled to the spring with a clamp either side of my wrist and the spring forming a loop/bow. Nearly had to call the fire brigade but as shock was setting in with the help of the wife we manage to grease my wrist up, then insert some heady duty polythene between my skin and the clamps thus allowing her to unwind the clamp screws avoiding the screw threads from cutting into my wrists which they did do when I first tried to unwind them . NEVER again!

My one an only major car maintenance injury!
If it helps anybody else avoid this then this is how it happened.

1) I always crack the strut tops nut with the strut still bolted into the turrets. CORRECT!

error beyond here

2) put strut on work mate and attached Sykes screw spring clamps
3) wind clamps down to compress spring to take pressure off top nut
4) with hand on spring/strut to stead on workmate/bench I undid top nut (clamp <> spring & hand <> clamp
5) just as nut came off in my fingers one spring clamp slipped round the coil. The whole unit jumped off the workmate/bench as the spring bowed and one clamp slid round to meet the other with my wrist trapped in between them
6) full bowed spring force/tension now in effect

I can tell you the surprise was bad enough but the weight of the spring and clamps wrapped around your wist and a now useless hand then the horror, panic and shock soon set in.

I was lucky. The whole works could have hit my face, smashed my teeth, blinded me (even with safety glasses), cracked my skull, .....

If you look at modern spring presses that are floor mounted, have decent "saddle clamp arms", and a safety cage.

https://sykes-pickavant.com/products/385801sp-pneumatic-coil-spring-compressor-workstation

Back