Tuning Chip?

Currently reading:
Tuning Chip?

Well it looks like the performance will only be enhanced if you have no CAT. I'm assuming that is short for Catalytic converter.. In which case I'm not sure why you would take that off..

You could probably get the same performance upgrade from a good service (y)

Plus the pics at the bottom look a bit like they're out of a 90's Need for Speed game :yuck:

My car is de-cat lol, frees up a bit of power from the top end. Done most bits of the service, just needs a new oil filter, oil is still a nice toffee colour :)

Haha yeah it does :p was just wondering if anyone had one of these chips, that's all :)

My car is de-cat lol, frees up a bit of power from the top end. Done most bits of the service, just needs a new oil filter, oil is still a nice toffee colour :)

Haha yeah it does :p was just wondering if anyone had one of these chips, that's all :)

Chips DONT work
Period

if you want more power from the car - Get it remapped

Also if oil is toffee coloured, it should still be okay toffe is near golden coloured :)
If oil was black - get it changed
But if you change the Oil - you change the filter
And if you change the filter you also Change the Oil

they go hand in hand - its poor practice if you dont do both together :)

Ziggy

Not totally true about chips. Some are piggyback devices that are effectively a remap but you may not like all aspects of the new map. Others change the input values so the standard map behaves differently. Some totally replace the original chip.

But dont expect huge performance gains.
Example:
http://www.superchips.co.uk/search?make=8&fueltype=1&model=53&variant=946

For real gains you need engine tuning and a remap to suit

Diesel benefit most with proprietary chips because for some reason they are detuned by the factory. Ive had a Supechips job on a VW TDI-90. My gains were 20% more power AND 20% more economy way better than they claimed. The std chip was strangling the engine. My bro has one in his Alfa 2.4 JTD gone from 135 to 175 bhp with a much fatter midrange.

example
http://www.superchips.co.uk/search?make=8&fueltype=2&model=53&variant=160

Last edited:
Well I know the Mcritch chip worked and I think you'll find that is a chip...

I'm not even sure if 75's can even be chipped, isn't there something with the ECU that stops you putting aftermarket chips in?
I was just wondering about that one I found because I wouldn't go all out on a chip costing upwards of £200, when it wouldn't really make any noticeable difference. Was just trying to find a cheap mod, but as i've found out there is no such thing :LOL:

Had confusion about power chip..but thanks to all of you your information helped me a lot in solving my doubts..now totally understood what power chip is..thanks guys..:)

Thanks

chipit.com.au

any car that came from the factory with a cat fitted will need this putting back on in january when new mot rules come in
no exceptions
there will be a 3 month rolling advisory period

Folks running a decat pipe will need a cat for the MOT and an alternative ECU with cat map or the cat wont work properly and it will fail on emissions.

Folks running a decat pipe will need a cat for the MOT and an alternative ECU with cat map or the cat wont work properly and it will fail on emissions.

I was wondering how this de-catting business worked. So if you decat, you need to change it all back in to pass an MOT?

Back