General chii rebuild

Currently reading:
General chii rebuild

btw low cars rule :slayer:
where have you put your breather in your sump does it matter as long as its quite high up? also is it goin to a catch tank? are you adding a breather to your gear box?

sorry for all the questions

the breather is above the oil level, it will run up the side of the engine and be joined with a T peice to the cam breather. it will then run into the catch tank. the catch tank has a drain in the bottom which runs back to the sump, below the oil level.

i'm not adding one to the gearbox

the catch tank has a drain in the bottom which runs back to the sump, below the oil level.

Why? :confused:

To my mind this is at the least an unnecessary complication (why do you want to introduce blow-by crap or the results of a blowing up engine back into the sump?) or simply won't work (conventional wisdom is that both drains and breathers should be above the oil level).

(conventional wisdom is that both drains and breathers should be above the oil level)
Surely conventional wisdom is Vents ABOVE oil level (ie thats why they are usually called crank breathers, not sump breathers)
And drains are BELOW oil level, so they only act as a drain, not a vent. Thats how I have always understood it, and have seen it on many engines. Although most do without the drain, but if there is to be one, it needs to be where Arc has it. What I am not sure about is if the vent is sufficiently high enough on the sump, but the only alternative is to drill and tap into the block :eek:

EDIT: picture added below to explain better, borrowed from Burton Power website

tt_eng2_diag3.gif

Last edited:
i might not bother with a sump breather, and just leave it blanked off and use it as an oil return in the future - its not really high enough.

il just catch the crank breather and let it drain back to the sump.

yo,in one of the pics above,the one with the rear arm and the disk brake...your spring is on upside down isn't it.i always thought that the tight coils go at the top??????????

Sump removal credited to me! Im only being arsey about it as it took about 40mins and a crap load of well crap in my eyes as the flywheel cover was making it difficult to reach two bolts. Arc then reads - "remove flywheel cover" after I had finally removed the sump :p hehe/

FYI tight coils go at the bottom.

A spring is rated by its active coils - that being coils free to move and not binding. The variable wound springs like those on arc's car achieve their variable rate by the tighter coils binding during suspension travel and hence becoming inactive.

Back