Technical Oil light on after engine rebuild

Currently reading:
Technical Oil light on after engine rebuild

Hello everyone,

I have just put my 1.1 SPI back in the 126 and the oil pressure light will not go out. Of course, I'm a bit worried!

Is there a oil pump priming procedure or something else I should do before starting it up?

Background: it has a Van Aaken turbo kit which was fitted during the rebuild. 0.8 mm oil pressure reducer fitted at the turbo. Oil filter has been moved using a Mocal kit and is at the same level as the rocker cover now. Approx. 10 mm ID feed pipes. Taking the oil filter off shows that it's full of oil (went on dry).

The engine was fine regarding oil pressure pre-rebuild and during strip down the bearings on the crank were all in spec with no signs of wear/oil issues. If I disconnect the oil pressure sensor while it's running, the light goes out.

I'm very excited to get driving in this sun, but can't do anything until this oil pressure light is sorted!

I guess the only way to know is to fit a pressure gauge. The only other thing I can think of is maybe the filter re-housing kit is placed too high?

What's been done in the overhaul?
Was the suction pipe refitted? I've seen them fall/snap off before.
And was the mesh filter on it clear?

Theres not much to go wrong on the engine that would lead to low oil pressure.
The head gasket can be fitted the wrong way round and block the oil feed to the head but that would increase oil pressure....and kill the cam.

Thanks Brooky, appreciate it!

Turns out I had installed the Mocal back to front. Swapped the pipes around and we are good.

Happy turbo noises now.

Back