General Checking oil level in Abarth

Currently reading:
General Checking oil level in Abarth

Hi all!
I´m living in Sweden and also have an Abarth Stilo. I have also noticed that the engine likes oil (n)
But, you all talks about dipstick. How about the level meter in the display? On my car it did not seems to work because it´s always maximum. Maybe failure on the measuring sensor?

Or is the instrument showing oil pressure?
Grateful for some respond.

Jonny Wallin

The only Stilo with an oil level indicator is the diesel engine.

The Abarth engine shows oil pressure and oil temperature on the electronic gauges in the dashboard display, if you have them switched on.

Last edited:
...and if you have them fitted. I don't think may UK cars have such a display - do they?

I assumed that all Abarths with the multi colour display in the instrument cluster had the oil gauges. According to eLEARN you can switch them on or off in the MODE switch panel menu. I think the menu item is "Engine Info"

Hi and thanks Davren for fast reply!

Then I understand more. I have the "Engine info" function, on.
But, why is it oil pressure shown in maximum before I start the Engine :confused:

What I learn now is to check the dipstick more often (y)

// Jonny Wallin

But, why is it oil pressure shown in maximum before I start the Engine

// Jonny Wallin

This would suggest that either the oil pressure sensor on the engine is not working, or the wire that connects the sensor to the instrument panel is broken, or not connected to the sensor or the instrument panel.

The diagram below shows the oil pressure and temperature sensors on the engine, but I dont know which one is for pressure and which one is for temperature.

To help identify them, the connectors for the two sensors are a different shape and are also shown in the diagrams below. The oil pressure sensor should have a yellow wire with red stripe in pin 1 of it's connector. The oil temperature sensor should have a white wire with red stripe in pin 1 of it's connector. Pin 2 of both connectors should be empty.

Attachments

• Abarth Oil Sensors.JPG
    Abarth Oil Sensors.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 48
  • Oil Pressure Sensor.JPG
    Oil Pressure Sensor.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 37
  • Oil Temp Sensor.JPG
    Oil Temp Sensor.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 32
I assumed that all Abarths with the multi colour display in the instrument cluster had the oil gauges. According to eLEARN you can switch them on or off in the MODE switch panel menu. I think the menu item is "Engine Info"

...and also, cruise control and the radio (standard type with 'repeat info on instrument panel') both need to be switched off.

The larger-diameter sensor shown on the left in your diagram is the oil pressure sensor.

The scaling of the 'gauge' reading is possibly a bit on the high side. Mine reads 'nothing' (hollow blocks) before the engine is started, then it reads 'max' (all blocks filled in) at any engine speed. When the engine is hot and idling, and particularly when the oil level is low, the last block will flash (hollow/filled). There are no markings (bar/psi) on the 'gauge' so I can understand how people would use it as an oil level gauge rather than oil pressure.

-Alex

Last edited:
Thanks for the drawing Davren!

I could now identify the oil pressure sensor.
But how the h...ll, change it :confused:

I can see that the wire is in place. Maybe if I can, from underside.
I will give it a try later.

Regards Jonny Wallin

Back