General Checking oil level in Abarth

Currently reading:
General Checking oil level in Abarth

Erm, how do you do it?

I can't seem to get a decent reading from the dipstick, one side of it is at the maximum and the other side is about halfway down.

I've tried turning the dipstick while it's in the engine but still get the same :confused:

Erm, how do you do it?

I can't seem to get a decent reading from the dipstick, one side of it is at the maximum and the other side is about halfway down.

I've tried turning the dipstick while it's in the engine but still get the same :confused:

Ummm... are you parked on level ground? Have you tried cleaning and drying the dispstick while removed so the oil shows up more clearly?

-Alex

What I'd do Dan is take it to JCS and use their service managers head as a dipstick. If you still don't get a reading, then beat said manager's head bit a large sturdy item, say, a leg off a pool table.

I'm guessing that JCS Kegworth would be one of your local dealers Dan, and if you've used them you'll know why all the animosity (SP?!)

What I'd do Dan is take it to JCS and use their service managers head as a dipstick. If you still don't get a reading, then beat said manager's head bit a large sturdy item, say, a leg off a pool table.

I'm guessing that JCS Kegworth would be one of your local dealers Dan, and if you've used them you'll know why all the animosity (SP?!)

I know what you mean :rolleyes: car's goin in there tomorrow to have ABS sensor and new paddleshift.:idea:

any more news on this one, as im having the same problem at the moment. can not get a proper reading from the dip stick. its worrying, that much so that im not driving her at the moment in fear of damaging the engine.. :(

I have checked the level after a very short drive and there is oil on there as expected. but if i leave it to cool off i get a reading the first time i pull the dip stick out but once cleaning it off and placing it in again i dont get any reading or if i do it is a very small amount. So confusing, that much so that im thinking a full oil change is required... :bang:

any luck dan after your service the other week?>?

Would i need a new sump plug "seal" if i do empty the engine of it oil?

Sounds to me like your oil level really is low :eek:

You SHOULD get the highest reading when the engine is cold (remove dipstick, clean, insert, remove, read level)

Well i filled her up with roughly 1.6 litres of oil, now sitting perfecting between the min and max mark.. Scary stuff i only checked the oil a few days before. no obvious leaks anywhere. :(

Now that i have done the oil i seem to have a miss-fire at low revs, possible coil or spark plug on the way out. She is still running the original Sagem coils so probably due an upgraded to 5 new champion units...:bang:

I pull out the dipstick once a fortnight, and check what is on there before wiping it.

I then wipe it, and put it back, then wait 10-15 secs, and then turn the dipstick around by 180 degrees. then you should get the same reading on both sides.

Thats my method anyhow.

Oh, and sometimes if its low, and im travelling quite quickly, or sideways round a roundabout, i got a pressure warning. But if it gets to that point you aint being very kind to your cams!!!

Well i filled her up with roughly 1.6 litres of oil, now sitting perfecting between the min and max mark.. Scary stuff i only checked the oil a few days before. no obvious leaks anywhere. :(

Now that i have done the oil i seem to have a miss-fire at low revs, possible coil or spark plug on the way out. She is still running the original Sagem coils so probably due an upgraded to 5 new champion units...:bang:

Ah the wonders of the 4pot ..one less coil to purchase :D

Well when it went in for the serivce the guy was baffled as well, he got the same thing as me, min on one side and max on the other.

He said he just put what capacity the engine holds in.

I've tried turning the dipstick 180 degrees but still the same. annoying?

Morning and sorry for the resurrection.

Have an Abarth and started getting the low oil pressure warning on hard right handed cornering.

Checked oil level and it was showing dry (done approx 9000 miles since last changed) so put in 1.25 litres as a starting point.

Now when I check the oil level it is showing about half an inch above max.

Given the oil drinking reputation it should easily have drunk that much since last service so am I misreading the dipstick or do I need to drain some oil?

Many thanks

Half an inch above max sounds like a serious overfill but...the 2.4 engine is notoriously difficult to check. You must park on an absolutely level surface and leave the engine switched off for about 5 mins before checking. Then do three or four dips (clean the stick each time) and take an average.

Yes, it does sound pathetic, but it's the only way to be sure the reading you're getting is truthful. It's due to the contortions the dipstick goes through to get to the sump...it actually enters the oil at an angle!

Many thanks for that.

Looks as if the dipstick was picking up oil on the way out so it look ok when averaged.

Hi all!
I´m living in Sweden and also have an Abarth Stilo. I have also noticed that the engine likes oil (n)
But, you all talks about dipstick. How about the level meter in the display? On my car it did not seems to work because it´s always maximum. Maybe failure on the measuring sensor?

Or is the instrument showing oil pressure?
Grateful for some respond.

Jonny Wallin

Last edited:
Back