Checking bathroom scales

Currently reading:
Checking bathroom scales

I thought the 1.5kg bit meant it couldn't weight anything less than that (I tried with a 500g pasta jar and nothing) - not it could vary by that much :eek:

noo..

what i meant was write down your weight over the day. so take 5 or 6 readings. then chart them.

the highest and lowest values should be within 1.5kg's of each other. thats giving daily weight changes plus an addition error margin.

that was just a random error margin.

the bit you mention is that the sensor in the scales wont pick up any weight under 1.5kg as that isnt heavy enough to turn it on. it will pick up changes of 1.5kg over that weight. so once its on any change it will notice. thats just to stop random things falling on it and turning it on.

I reckon you'd get the best representation if you do it at the same time everyday - say just before breakfast?

Ah I see :)

So assuming it is all correct - which time of day is the weight I should class as my "real" weight? As soon as I wake up?

Your real weight technically is an average of the day. the body weight constantly changes all day for reasons x/y/z.

so to get best results you would need more than 2 results to get a fair average.

When you wake up your body has used reserves to keep organs going so you will obviously weigh less here than at the end of the day. in theory to get the best "real weight" don't eat for 12hrs but thats just stupid.

however your scales do now appear to be working (y)

Your real weight technically is an average of the day. the body weight constantly changes all day for reasons x/y/z.

so to get best results you would need more than 2 results to get a fair average.

When you wake up your body has used reserves to keep organs going so you will obviously weigh less here than at the end of the day. in theory to get the best "real weight" don't eat for 12hrs but thats just stupid.

however your scales do now appear to be working (y)
Excellent - I guess if I weigh the speaker each morning too and it's always the same weight, then that's a good indicator (it's now 8.2 - a .1 difference, but that was before I "reset" it)

Excellent - I guess if I weigh the speaker each morning too and it's always the same weight, then that's a good indicator (it's now 8.2 - a .1 difference, but that was before I "reset" it)

If you check that a few times and it is constantly within 0.2kgs then i think its good. remember to always place it centrally on the scales as that can sometimes cause a little variance as well.

edit. In fact it would be a good idea to do it on a regular basis to just esentially zero the scales to find any errors

Last edited:
Back