Channel 4 - now - Last Flight of the Vulcan Bomber

Currently reading:
Channel 4 - now - Last Flight of the Vulcan Bomber

Regardless of your opinion of the presenter it was worth watching for all the beautiful HD flying shots of a plane that will never fly again. I've got it recorded in HD should I want to see it again.

I sat in a Vulcan many years ago still remember the smell!

Did you see the extra air-to air shots on the channel 4 web page?
The view of the Vulcan when it sweeps round and then flies head on towards the camera is just stunning. What an amazingly beautiful shape - and designed in the 1950's.
I think it is probably corporate risk-assessment that has killed her off too early, and it is such a shame. Saw her twice this year - tears every time from me!

Didn't see the extra stuff shall have a look, I can see why it has to end. Something that big coming down doesn't bear thinking about it's a huge shame when you think it was restored to flying condition less than 10 years ago, but when you think of the miles of wiring in it and all the hydraulics it would be a mare to keep going.

Used to go to elvington (of Richard Hammond stopping with his head from 300mph fame) airshow and they had and presumably still have a Victor. Always thought it was an immense shame it was restricted to ground runs only, it was still desert pink having been used to support air operations in desert storm and also had been used to support Vulcan's in black buck. This was back in the early 90s and it arrived in 93 so it wasn't your usual museum piece it still looked like an active service aircraft.

Did you see the extra air-to air shots on the channel 4 web page?
The view of the Vulcan when it sweeps round and then flies head on towards the camera is just stunning. What an amazingly beautiful shape - and designed in the 1950's.
I think it is probably corporate risk-assessment that has killed her off too early, and it is such a shame. Saw her twice this year - tears every time from me!

The footage that Martin shot from the acrobatic plane as the Vulcan peeled away brought tears to my eyes, it was proof that a machine can be beautiful and have a living spirit all of its own.
We were lucky to see her fly a few times over the past few years and one last time at the Weston air show this summer where she set the car alarms off in the town as she opened the taps out over the bay.. absolutely magical and unforgettable and will be sorely missed.

Didn't see the programme.....but I did see the aircraft

Aircraft_001.JPG

Aircraft_002.JPG

Aircraft_003.JPG

Aircraft_004.JPG

Aircraft_005.JPG

Aircraft_006.JPG

Last edited:
Medium Image:
Aircraft_007.JPG

Medium Image:
Aircraft_008.JPG

Medium Image:
Aircraft_009.JPG

Medium Image:
Aircraft_010.JPG

Medium Image:
Aircraft_011.JPG

Medium Image:
Aircraft_012.JPG

Medium Image:
Aircraft_013.JPG

Medium Image:
Aircraft_014.JPG

Medium Image:
Aircraft_015.JPG

Medium Image:
Aircraft_016.JPG

Thanks Beard. That must have been the day Vulcan did a low pass over the airport? I was stood at Woodford but only caught a glimpse. Would have seen more at home!
What a machine ! Upsets me to think it's all over now for flying for XH558 :(

Back