Technical Chain Cam Belt?

Currently reading:
Technical Chain Cam Belt?

davidjw

I understand that some Ducato have a chain cam belt that does not have the same servicing requirements as a conventional belt. How can I tell if my 2017 3.0 Ducato has a chain cam belt?

Thanks.

Hi David, and welcome to the forum
I'm not familiar with the 3 litre engine
But you can usually tell if its a chain or a belt by by looking at the 'front' of the engine - where the pulleys are.
A chain runs in oil so is protected by sealed metal covering.
Wheras a belt runs dry so is protected by plastic shields

Should also read up on fords "eco boom " engines with belt running in the sump and what happens as the belts shreds ..!!!!!!!!!
It's genius, if engine oil is used that is not compatible with the belt , the belt sheds fibres and or teeth which block the oil pump pick up strainer - result new engine required.
If the shedding is avoided ford reccomend that the previously "lifetime" belt is replaced periodically. A variety of special tools are required . Ford dealerships currently asking well over £1200 to replace eco boom belts.

Belts running in oil sounds like one of the things they have had to do to reduce friction and meet emission standards - like recommending very thin oils?
All the easy wins have already been used.

The PSA early engines have a recall due to "wet belt" issues, as well as belt failures, they also have the bits of belts coming away and blocking the oilways.

Old school me has "never get oil on the timing belt" screaming in my head.

Thanks for all the replies and sorry for the delay in responding. I checked as suggested and there is a metal cover bolted over where I expect the cam belt to live. The engine oil cap is an integral part of the cover and looking inside I can see a double chain :).

I also understood that 3.0 engines had a chain, but read somewhere that this depends on the year. Replacing the cam belt was also mentioned after the last service (non fiat garage) hence my question.

I am now more concerned with the rusting injectors also raised at the last service and caused by water ingress from the well known scuttle issues on the Ducato. However, at present I am thinking that 'if it aint broke dont fix it'.

Back