General Central locking?

Currently reading:
General Central locking?

Hi Tim, good to hear the restoration is progressing- this is definitely added... there were no wires in the door of any 500 from factory.
I haven't ever seen central locking on a 500- usually wiring is for door speakers

Tim, I know you're ahead of us down there but you're over a month early with that April Fool.:):):)

Does your not have central locking then Peter?????

Mine does, it's called me. I leave the sunroof open and lean in and push both buttons down at the same time.;)

Ha ha ha! Ok so I've got some spaghetti to remove.

One other thing I've noticed. My generator is missing the cover. Was this normal on a 500-F? And does it need one? I can clearly see it in Tony's photo on Chris's Newbie questions thread. I think I know where there might be one if I need it.

Also in that photo, I wanna get hold of the rubber (?) pipe that the HT leads run through – where from?

Tim

PS: Panelbeater's talking about getting a trailer to bring Luigi (working title) home!!!!

Ha ha ha! Ok so I've got some spaghetti to remove.

One other thing I've noticed. My generator is missing the cover. Was this normal on a 500-F? And does it need one? I can clearly see it in Tony's photo on Chris's Newbie questions thread. I think I know where there might be one if I need it.

Also in that photo, I wanna get hold of the rubber (?) pipe that the HT leads run through – where from?

Tim

PS: Panelbeater's talking about getting a trailer to bring Luigi (working title) home!!!!

Tim

What do you mean the little shield bit on the Dynamo that runs around about a third of it? If so I assume it is there to stop any damage if the fan belt breaks or flies off. I assume it was thought that it really wasn't needed, as on later cars fitted with an alternator there is nothing and there is a lot more potential to do damage to the wiring on the alternator voltage regulator if the belt comes off.

As for the rubber pipe on the HT leads I have never seen it sold separately only with new leads. I guess you could use some heat shrink tubing, that you put over the leads and the apply hot air and it will shrink down to a third of its original size. You can get it in different colours to add a bit of colour if you want or just go with black like on the link below and its quite cheap.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Adh...ink-Tubing-Heat-Shrink-Sleeving-/181068478516

Tony

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Hi Tony

Yes, that's the shield. Is it needed on a generator? I can get one if it's a good idea. But maybe it was discontinued by 1966?

The heat shrunk tubing looks promising. How is it with the heat from the engine (once it's shrunk)?

Tim

PS: Didn't realise my central locking question would cause so much mirth.:)
You don't need very long arms really to provide natural central locking. It's a bit like a TV remote...

Hi Tony

Yes, that's the shield. Is it needed on a generator? I can get one if it's a good idea. But maybe it was discontinued by 1966?

The heat shrunk tubing looks promising. How is it with the heat from the engine (once it's shrunk)?

Tim

PS: Didn't realise my central locking question would cause so much mirth.:)
You don't need very long arms really to provide natural central locking. It's a bit like a TV remote...

I don't think it serves a great purpose to be honest but I am sure someone may have some additional info???? Where's Chris when you need him!!!! My car is a 500F and has it and I know Peter's is a 69 F and has it.

The heat shrink will only shrink to a certain size it won't keep on going with the heat from the engine. I would imagine it would be fine with the heat of the engine, its only resting lightly on the rocker box cover in places, you could always put two or three layers on just to be safe.

Tony

Last edited:
Back