Technical Ignition key stops working

Currently reading:
Technical Ignition key stops working

swdwolf

Hello,
I am a relatively new 1973 Fiat 500 owner (my wife finally won me over to buy one of these babies). Have to say this car has done little mileage in 50+ years, and probably more in the last six months than in decades. Driving this car puts a smile on my face. The big problem today is the very annoying situation where the key will not go in the ignition unit attached to the steering lock.... I have tried the usual lubricating oils and wires to free up whatever is preventing the key to go in. Even tried different keys. Anyone got any ideas? Never had this problem with an old car before. Yes, there is a first for everything.... Attached picture is of us being towed home with the steering... well..... locked...
I have sourced a new ignition/steering lock part. So if I have to go this route of replacement, how do I get the old unit off with the steering lock engaged? Drill out the lock, or angle grind the body? I am all ears.....
Thanks in advance for any help.
Stephen

Attachments

• Hello hello What's happened here Velizy SW.jpg
    Hello hello What's happened here Velizy SW.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 46
Hello,
I am a relatively new 1973 Fiat 500 owner (my wife finally won me over to buy one of these babies). Have to say this car has done little mileage in 50+ years, and probably more in the last six months than in decades. Driving this car puts a smile on my face. The big problem today is the very annoying situation where the key will not go in the ignition unit attached to the steering lock.... I have tried the usual lubricating oils and wires to free up whatever is preventing the key to go in. Even tried different keys. Anyone got any ideas? Never had this problem with an old car before. Yes, there is a first for everything.... Attached picture is of us being towed home with the steering... well..... locked...
I have sourced a new ignition/steering lock part. So if I have to go this route of replacement, how do I get the old unit off with the steering lock engaged? Drill out the lock, or angle grind the body? I am all ears.....
Thanks in advance for any help.
Stephen
At the riskof asking a very stupid question----have you been putting the key in the right way up? On more that 1 occasion I have caught myself trying to put the key in the ignition upside down (like you, on the column with steering lock). Have you tried wiggling the steering when trying to insert the key---in case it is a case of the steering-lock that is causing the problem?

Always good to raise these important details. Yes, both me and the tow man tried always of getting the key to slide into the ignition switch, while wiggling the steering wheel. Even tried my spare key at home. Tried tapping the key in, but to no avail. Steering lock remains firmly on. Now considering the expense of a locksmith. Anyone got any thoughts on that option? I see drilling and grinding in my future....

I think given that you and the tow driver have had a good go, I can’t imagine a locksmith doing anything other than drilling / grinding it out.

Most of us are a little reticent to give out details of how to remove a steering lock or ignition key on an open forum… you never know who’s reading. But ultimately these are old simple cars and if you drill / cut / grind the bolts that hold it on it will come apart.

If you do end up changing the lock, one thing you might not be aware of is that all 500s came standard with the key in the centre of the dashboard and no steering lock. So if you are a fan of originality, you might wish to refit that ignition switch instead of replacing the steering lock.

I think given that you and the tow driver have had a good go, I can’t imagine a locksmith doing anything other than drilling / grinding it out.

Most of us are a little reticent to give out details of how to remove a steering lock or ignition key on an open forum… you never know who’s reading. But ultimately these are old simple cars and if you drill / cut / grind the bolts that hold it on it will come apart.

If you do end up changing the lock, one thing you might not be aware of is that all 500s came standard with the key in the centre of the dashboard and no steering lock. So if you are a fan of originality, you might wish to refit that ignition switch instead of replacing the steering lock.
........only up to a certain date (not sure when), and the dashboard ignition seems to have continued for longer, (or was maybe a cheaper option?) in Italy.
As far as I can tell, and from personal experience "back in the day", in the UK, all 500L's had a steering lock and my 1971 500F, which I owned in the '80's had the steering lock, with a blanking plug where the dashboard lock would have been.

I just remembered that I have this photo of my rusty, stockpiled 500 that shows both items; this is a '71.

DSC_5405.JPG

........only up to a certain date (not sure when), and the dashboard ignition seems to have continued for longer, (or was maybe a cheaper option?) in Italy.
As far as I can tell, and from personal experience "back in the day", in the UK, all 500L's had a steering lock and my 1971 500F, which I owned in the '80's had the steering lock, with a blanking plug where the dashboard lock would have been.

I just remembered that I have this photo of my rusty, stockpiled 500 that shows both items; this is a '71.

View attachment 437091
My '72 'L' (Italian import) also has a steering lock and blanking plug as shown here. Judging by the worn chrome paint on the plug, i'd say it was original.

Back