Styling cd facia recommendations

Currently reading:
Styling cd facia recommendations

mrleroy

Can anyone point me to a brand of CD facia for a 98 bravo that isnt by AUTOLEADS, as I have this one already, and its SHOCKING!!!!

Also, the original stereo remained on even when the engine wasn't so I thought all the cabling i chopped over from the original to the new one would keep the stereo live when the car is turned off. But this wasnt the case.

Any recommendations on how to get my stereo wired so that it remains live even when the car isnt?

Many thanks in advance

Last edited:
i agree the autoleads facia surround is shoddy quality, it doesn't even fit properly, scratches easier than skin, and its a slightly different shade of plastic. i have gaps either side of mine. my girlfriend has an autoleads surround for her mk2 punto and its a perfect fit, better heavier plastic and it even has a nice textured finish. i dont know whats going on there but its crap, and i haven't found another company that makes them yet so i guess we're stuck with autoleads rubbish. i could understand it if all there surrounds were crap but why only bravo ones?

mrleroy said:
Also, the original stereo remained live even when the engine wasn't so I thought all the cabling i chopped over from the original to the new one would keep the stereo live when the car is turned off. But this wasnt the case.

Any recommendations on how to get my stereo wired so that it remains live even when the car isnt?

Many thanks in advance
Any help on this one would be grand.
Thanks

I have been elected to fit Stony Radio/Cassette Multichanger ex. Dads 1.6 Stilo to Mums Bravo... think its the Autoleads facia Dads bought for the purpose so concerned about your comments on poor quality of the moulding. How bad is it? Also how do you get the factory fit unit out? :confused:

how bad is it, erm, i guess it depends how fussy you are, mine has gaps at either side, only small gaps, but it looks as though the fascia is slightly warped out of shape, it wont push in any further no matter how hard i try. mine is scratched at either side as well, the plastic is soft and brittle.

the original stereo removes easily if you have the removal keys, if you dont then stick a butter knife in either side at about the same level as the stereo key holes. i pushed the knifes in between the stereo and the surrounding plastic, gave them a wiggle till they felt as though they were stuck, then pulled the stereo out with great force by sticking my fingers in the tape slot.

The autoleads facia I have doesnt fit snug, big gaps left and right, also the plastic is different incolour and scrathes easy, plus there are 3 holes along the front edge which look really poor..

jug said:
i forgot about the three holes in the front, what the hell are they for, man autoleads suck.
They are there purely to pi$$ us off, im sure of that.

Helz, would you be able to clarify what I need to do to get my HU permanently live? Thanks if you can, thanks anyway if you cannot...

Last edited:
head units are usually powered with a permanent live and a switched live powered by the ignition. to make your headunit remain on without the key in the ignition you need to split the permanent live wire so that it supplies both the permanent live and the ignition live cables of the headunit. most headunit wiring harnesses have plugs on the live (red) and ignition (yellow) wires. you need to have both the yellow and red wires connected to the permanent live wire of the car harness. to do this you usually unplug the yellow wire on the headunit harness and then replug it into the vacant female plug on the red wire. if you dont have a harness like this then chop the wires. i cant remember which colour wire is the permanent live on the bravo wiring harness so you'll need to check with a multimeter, or use the bulb on a wire method to test for power. hope this helps

It might help someone i show it too, but im 100% clueless when it comes to wiring. Give me a broken PC and some screwdrivers and ill fix it.

im a Techno-geek...
i suffer with Elecro-phobia...

all i remember plugging in is the Arial reciever, and a white block of wires, that was it. I need to take it to have the Sub fitted to the boot, so i might get them to take a look at it, else im bound to blow things up if I try myself...

Aaaaah This is interesting!

Jug, that stereo facia we were moaning about, with the holes in the front and the shoddy build Quality, well, I found out why there are holes there:

Here is your answer!

Quite a nifty idea, my old 1977 mini had something similar, they gave you a fake plastic mould that was meant to look like 2 heater fans which you place over the stereo so pikey thieves thought it was, well, 2 heater fans! I found just taking the Face plate off the stereo was a far more effective method of protection...

i'll be damned, thats great if you have a head unit without a removable face or one of those posh head units with the screen that pops out. what a clever trick. and it looks fairly convincing. thing is i bet it wouldnt fit properly and would pop off randomly, especially when thieves are looking. thats the autoleads way

Yeah, that is true.

I guess its there as a deterent rather than a decoy, I spose its meant to stop people wanting to break-in in the first place, I guess, like you say, once the potential robber is in-car they are there to steal your fiat stereo anyway, would be faced with a dodgy facia plate then realise that its a different stereo underneath (no facia = wasted crime, with facia = thief has a party)

Nice idea though..

I have one. Fits pretty well and doesnt pop off. Doesn't look THAT convincing though. But in the dark it's spot on. Saying that, I've accidently left my car unlocked and nothing went missing so it MIGHT be doing a good job.

Tom444 said:
I have one. Fits pretty well and doesnt pop off. Doesn't look THAT convincing though. But in the dark it's spot on. Saying that, I've accidently left my car unlocked and nothing went missing so it MIGHT be doing a good job.

my original fiat key remote leaves my car unlocked most nights, damn thing works too well and is too easy to press. silly design

Back