General car reving on tickover

Currently reading:
General car reving on tickover

A friend of mine has bought a 2004 panda dynamic 80K on the clock and change from £500!
Few issues, firstly when the car has been turned off and keys removed, the red temperature light is dimly lit.
Secondly, when its started the rev counter shows a tick over of just 500rpm going up to 800rpm then back down again you can also hear the engine do this.
Id say it was 'hunting'
Any ideas?
Other than that the car runs fine and is very 'nippy' as most 1.2's are!!

thanks in advance for any input on this but im sure the 'hunting' bit might strike a cord with some of you??

A friend of mine has bought a 2004 panda dynamic 80K on the clock and change from £500!
Few issues, firstly when the car has been turned off and keys removed, the red temperature light is dimly lit.
Secondly, when its started the rev counter shows a tick over of just 500rpm going up to 800rpm then back down again you can also hear the engine do this.
Id say it was 'hunting'
Any ideas?
Other than that the car runs fine and is very 'nippy' as most 1.2's are!!

thanks in advance for any input on this but im sure the 'hunting' bit might strike a cord with some of you??

Hi,
Welcome to Fiat Forum.
For the hunting check the intake ducting and small vacuum pipes for leaks or blockages. For the temperature light check the fuse box(es) for corrosion or damp.

Robert G8RPI.

I take it's like this

Could be many cause.

To check for an intake leak spray a little WD40 on the suspect area. The revs will change as it's sucked in.

Girlfriends did something similar.

It would drop the revs and stall unless you caught it with the throttle.

Also the gauges would go haywire while cranking.

A few week previously she had complained it was sticking high on idle.

someone on here mention it might be a battery issue. But on idle there was 14.1V

But the battery did have dead cells and was only 11.8v if left over night.

I was doubious a battery would make any difference as it was cranking okay and 14.1V when running.

But it's been fine for months with just a battery change

Couple of easy bits to check with a can of WD40 and a multi meter.

I take it's like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv8BnBlCdb8

Could be many cause.

To check for an intake leak spray a little WD40 on the suspect area. The revs will change as it's sucked in.

Girlfriends did something similar.

It would drop the revs and stall unless you caught it with the throttle.

Also the gauges would go haywire while cranking.

A few week previously she had complained it was sticking high on idle.

someone on here mention it might be a battery issue. But on idle there was 14.1V

But the battery did have dead cells and was only 11.8v if left over night.

I was doubious a battery would make any difference as it was cranking okay and 14.1V when running.

But it's been fine for months with just a battery change

Couple of easy bits to check with a can of WD40 and a multi meter.
Yes, Exactly like that!
I remembered?? that a blocked / leaky pipe my be suspect but not 100% sure.

Back