Car parts forgery on the rise

Currently reading:
Car parts forgery on the rise

The worry is that the price you pay, or where you buy from is no guarantee of safety as counterfeiting has become more sophisticated, and the channels to buy from more diverse.

I remember seeing this covered on an episode of watchdog about 20 years ago so its nothing new

as an example this story is 15 years old http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/376897.stm

"Most of the parts are produced in former Eastern bloc countries such as Poland and the former USSR, and the Far East."

I remember times when local market was virtually flooded with cheap and very low quality Polish parts, especially exhaust systems, filters etc. But the times changed and if you do some research before buying, the parts manufactured in Poland today are not necessarily worse just because they are from Poland. I remember I bought exhaust tubing for my late Tipo very cheaply from quite unknown Polish ISO 9001 company which, in fact, was incomparably better (thicker coating, better welds, better after-welding treatment) than the more expensive Bosal stuff I bought for my wife´s Focus last year.

Last edited:
Safely parts you should buy from a main dealers e.g brakes, brake hoses, steering and anything to do with the fuel system. Rest you just need to be aware if the part is fake or not.

Back