Car insurance for alloys

Currently reading:
Car insurance for alloys

Doncasterlouis

Just bought some fiat alloys for my punto mk2 for £50,
Spoke to the insurance company to put them on insurance and they were going to charge me a massive £200 to put them on, does this sound right?
Have a asked the insurance company the wrong question?
Thanks
Guys
Regards
Louis

Spoke to the insurance company to put them on insurance and they were going to charge me a massive £200 to put them on, does this sound right?
Thanks
Guys
Regards
Louis

Louis it all depends upon the insurance company, if you've gone for the cheapest one out there (often a broker etc) and not a well known big brand then it wouldn't surprise me.

Some will only charge if they're not genuine, others will regardless.

Thanks
Guys
Regards
Louis
Hi,
If you're struggling for insurance then please feel to drop me a line. Remember club members can receive a discount of up to 15%.
Regards,
Dan.

£200 does seem very steep for just swapping to alloys. Be interesting to see what they'd have quoted at the outset if the alloys had been present.

Yea was thinking that myself Chris, gonna wait for the renewal I think, see what they say then, in the mean time I'm gunna spruce the alloys up a little

Insurance is based on perceived risk. Lots of factors are used, including age, location, vehicle, history, etc. Any added extras change your assessment. If your insurance company sees a history of people your age who add alloys making more or higher claims, they will load your premium accordingly. So its not just the value of the alloys.

Had a 17yr old pupil a few years ago bought a 106 with Peugeot alloys fitted. Best insurance quote was then over £2000. The alloys, although Peugeot, had been added by the previous owner.
I suggested she go back and ask if he still had the steels, which he did. Four new tyres for the steels, then sold the alloys, for more than the cost of the new tyres, then insurance less than £1000.

Back