Off Topic Car getting broken into - Happening often in the UK?

Currently reading:
Off Topic Car getting broken into - Happening often in the UK?

Hi,

My car got broken into yesterday. It was parked next to the main boulevard, where it should be safe, yet somebody broke my window and took whatever they could - which, for their disappointment, was almost nothing.

But still, I ended up having a car with no window in -20 degrees of cold.

I was very surprised to find out, after telling my work mates and friends about it, that almost everybody's car got vandalized and robbed in Bucharest.

I didn't wand to use my fully comprehensible mainly because of the franchise of 100E and the fact that the insurance would grow like crazy afterwards.

So I phoned work telling I will be late, called the police, went and made a statement, went to work, made a few phone calls to some friends, went to the University to take an exam, a friend came to the underground car park at work and I am proud to say I have a UK glass on my car, at around 50 pounds, from the breakers. :p

Only issue is it has some sort of an annoying serial number right under the window. What the heck is that?

DSC07320.jpgDSC07331.jpg

Last edited:
Only issue is it has some sort of an annoying serial number right under the window. What the heck is that?

There phone numbers normally on the car windowstickers along with the security etching saying something like: "if you buy this car new or second hand and haven't received the paperwork..call this number"

If you havent got the sticker on yours I'll get the number of my car when I get home (haven't got the Stilo at work today)

Paul

ISR hold all the security data for your car. If you go to a fiat dealer to get this data they ask for id + logbook etc then contact ISR who provide them with the info.

ISR won't give out data to owners directly, but they will be able to confirm what data they hold on record for the vehicle. They were pretty helpful when I called them - I needed a key cut for the wifes Ulysse and had to get the PIN code for the imobiliser before the dealer could program a new key in.

Paul

https://www.fiatforum.com/stilo/19727-security-code.html

Last edited:
i live in a nice part of a $hit town, my car had NO ALARM, NO IMOBO and i don't lock it!!!, my car is currently outside my mrs mums house in a nice part of outer sheff... not locked :) i have an ipod, mobile, expensive ICE, sat nav, and a CB radio in my car :) oh and my 5ft aerial is on a quick release... never been stolen

Shadey I did have the sticker but I took it off because, this being a RHD car, the sticker went right where the light for my fake alarm went. :p So that had to go.

Well, it's practically useless here in Romania and my car value will be a lot lower because of the stupid window which is Pilkington not Sekurit, but heck, I'll be alright.

When I bought the car I was so careful about the details, now less than 2 years pass and already I have changed 2 windscreens, one side glass and been in a crash that has almost written off my car. I'm starting to feel there's something wrong with this city..

It's the same wherever you go. I live in a good part of my town where nobody is likely to try to break in unless the car is left unlocked. As soon as I leave the car anywhere else somebody will attempt to break in as I found out when I stayed at my sisters last year.
I tint my windows which makes it much more difficult because the glass doesnt just fall through.

Having said that it's quite easy to break into the Stilo with a screw driver and wire. My car decided to lock itself with the engine running when I was outside the car last night. It took us about 15 mins to get in.

i live in a nice part of a $hit town, my car had NO ALARM, NO IMOBO and i don't lock it!!!, my car is currently outside my mrs mums house in a nice part of outer sheff... not locked :) i have an ipod, mobile, expensive ICE, sat nav, and a CB radio in my car :) oh and my 5ft aerial is on a quick release... never been stolen

Where did you say your mrs's mum lived?

I find it very very repulsing to see that people steal. I don't look so rich and I certainly don't have an expensive car, there were Honda's and BMW's in the parking lot and yet they broke into my Stilo, for which I am working my a$$ off to pay. :)

I don't really have any money at all because of all the taxes I had to pay for the university, insurances and so on at the beginning of the year so you can imagine this comes as a treat. It's not much, but heck, I only make around 500£ per month and it is a lot, considering the minimum wage is 100£.

Maybe they saw that I have number plates from a different region and thought.. this guy has to have something important in the car..

This is why I want to move to the UK. I just hope I make it there one day...

Lol. The UK is no different. The problem is every person from every other country wants to come here because they think we are easy to make money out of. The truth be told if you live legitimately and work an unskilled job it is unlikely to cover the cost of living.

Agreed the UK is a dump the only way to live now is to work 2 jobs or cheat the system which makes everyone else's cost of living increase!! I earn 250 a month and study full time that covers fuel... And sometimes insurance!! Car insurance is a joke I'm payin £750 a year for a 899 cinq, petrol where I live is 135.9p per litre!!! Sod the UK I'm off to eastern europe as an engineer lol

I totally agree with what you guys say. I don't want to move to the UK because I plan on getting rich, but statistics say it's a lot better than Romania.

In Romania:
- Gas is 1.18£
- Minimum wage is 105£
- One room apartment rent - 200£ minimum
- Cars are a lot more expensive - my stilo is worth 3500£
- Average price for a 2 room flat - 50000£
- A KFC menu, let's say, is worth 5.50£

I work for a large corporation which is based in the UK. My position here is paid with ~500£ and in London it is worth 2700£.

Prices for electronics are actually cheaper in the UK. Furniture is cheaper as well.

I have a couple of friends in London, some are doctors some are engineers, some work in software development, all is better than Romania.

You can imagine that working in Romania with a minimum wage as an unskilled worker is most likely not going to cover the cost of cigarettes, nevertheless living. :)

Last edited:
Agreed the UK is a dump the only way to live now is to work 2 jobs or cheat the system which makes everyone else's cost of living increase!! I earn 250 a month and study full time that covers fuel... And sometimes insurance!! Car insurance is a joke I'm payin £750 a year for a 899 cinq, petrol where I live is 135.9p per litre!!! Sod the UK I'm off to eastern europe as an engineer lol

Or learn a skilled trade that's actually in demand, Which to be fair most places in the world are the same :rolleyes:.

Last edited:
I totally agree with what you guys say. I don't want to move to the UK because I plan on getting rich, but statistics say it's a lot better than Romania.

In Romania:
- Gas is 1.18£
- Minimum wage is 105£
- One room apartment rent - 200£ minimum
- Cars are a lot more expensive - my stilo is worth 3500£
- Average price for a 2 room flat - 50000£
- A KFC menu, let's say, is worth 5.50£

I work for a large corporation which is based in the UK. My position here is paid with ~500£ and in London it is worth 2700£.

Prices for electronics are actually cheaper in the UK. Furniture is cheaper as well.

I have a couple of friends in London, some are doctors some are engineers, some work in software development, all is better than Romania.

You can imagine that working in Romania with a minimum wage as an unskilled worker is most likely not going to cover the cost of cigarettes, nevertheless living. :)
your best bet then is not to live here but come over buy a big van and car trailer, sleep in it whilst you are here, go to car boot sales and buy up loads of furniture, go car auction a buy a car then take it all back and sell it, then start again

... I'm starting to feel there's something wrong with this city...

nothing wrong with the city bud its the people in it ;)

look at where i live, home of Jaguar, Alvis (Tanks and Cars), Sopwith (Aircraft), Frank Whittle was born and lived here, resting place Thrust SSC (last time i checked), GEC and Marconi used to be based here, we have links to early developments of the bicycle, one of they guys who started Rover was born here, we got the crap bombed out of us in WWII and then went on to drop the same weight in bombs each night for many more nights on the 'krauts' (y) the Ska band 'The Specials' came from this hole and their track 'Ghost Town' is a very accurate description of how even i remember the city in the mid 90's... for god sake even Triumph was only about 4 miles out of the city boundries.

Now... Coventry has sweet FA to be proud about apart from maybe their speedway team which i think is mainly guys from the EU:( the pride of the city has gone the people in it all think its a dive and i'm not suprised that great names of years gone by have faded into the murky depths of history. no body has pride anymore in where they live and its reflected, unfortuneately, in the attitude of a small minority of the in habitants!

your best bet then is not to live here but come over buy a big van and car trailer, sleep in it whilst you are here, go to car boot sales and buy up loads of furniture, go car auction a buy a car then take it all back and sell it, then start again

Why would you say that? :) I know the UK is full of immigrants but I do sense a little bit of hostility from your side.:p

We're all trying to survive mate, and if I will be able to come to London on a management position in a large corporation believe me, there will be nothing there to stop me.

@ricky. I feel you mate. Bucharest is the capital of this country but it's also filled with all sorts of opportunists that hope they make it but instead they poison the city with their stupidity. I understand the frustration of the people in the UK as well, but if you ask me the laws should be changed WITH the attitude of the people. If you can't influence someone to be good, make them. That's why Romania was only proper under communist leadership. We didn't have a choice. If you give romanians a choice, they would stay home and rob others for their well being.

PS: There are lots of people that go ahead and buy stuff from the UK and sell them here already. :) 90% of the stilos from the breakers are brought from the UK.

I'm just saying you guys think it's bad there, but it's a lot better than in most of the other places.

No offense meant.

Last edited:
Strangely enough, always wanted to visit Coventry. It is something to do with the Specials and Selector (showing my age) but also it was, like my home town, Plymouth, bombed flat by the germans. Did they make a good job of rebuilding the city after the war? In Plymouth they seemd to opt for a grid system, building made of portland stone which has not aged well. I will say the city centre is well laid out though. One day I'll get to Coventry. The Ricoh Arena is impressive I bet.

Strangely enough, always wanted to visit Coventry. It is something to do with the Specials and Selector (showing my age) but also it was, like my home town, Plymouth, bombed flat by the germans. Did they make a good job of rebuilding the city after the war? In Plymouth they seemd to opt for a grid system, building made of portland stone which has not aged well. I will say the city centre is well laid out though. One day I'll get to Coventry. The Ricoh Arena is impressive I bet.
the rebuild was fine they did a very good job of it theres less and less 'original' pieces left though. Spon Street is pretty much the only intact part of the city centre BUT even this was moved after the Blitz and the road between the buildings widened so its not really an accurate depiction of how crowded the city centre used to be. all round by the Cathedral and Hay lane is about as accurate as you can get. its still a city LOADED with history a wander round the Herbert art gallery will prove this. i live about 2 miles from the Ricoh and if im honest i hate it. im not a sports fan and never have been, i see it as an eyesore and a needless development, but then again it levelled a family business of 30 years of one of my closest friends to make way for its carpark so i will never have positive things to say about it.

Coventry has the ring road of death though :eek:
the ring road works well when everyones behaving ;) if you're new to the city its a ballache and you have to have some idea of where you're going. the problem is people dither and dont commit to lane changes once this happens its smooth flow is disrupted and it spirals out of control from there. but lets face it brums queensway aint exactly the best built ringroad in the world either but im sure for locals covs is more scary than their own!

Back