Technical Car cutting out at the start of journey

Currently reading:
Technical Car cutting out at the start of journey

stevie0398

Hi,

Recently the heater has stopped blowing hot air and at the start of my journey when i slow down at junctions etc the car cuts out(it starts o.k again though). Once i am driving for over 5 minutes everything is fine(still no heat from the blower) Do you think this is all connected? An airlock or soemthing? There are no warning lights at all showing.My car recently had the oil filter light on and i topped it up with oil. But it is asking me soemtimes to top up more so i am not sure if i have put in enough.
My car is a Y reg fiat punto.
Thanks in advance.

Stephen

Oil pressure light has little to do with oil level. Check the level with the dipstick with the engine cold regularly, try and see how much oil it is using. But an oil and filter change wouldn't go amiss.

No hot air means the cooling system needs bleeding to remove air. May be a warning of a head gasket on its way out. Poor starting and conking out when cold could also indicate this. Compression test reveals all. But check the level of coolant when engine cold.

Thanks for your response. If coolant is low should i top up with water and coolant? Is there a specific one i should buy?

Thanks Again.

it is preferable to drain and refill, it is a service item.. I drain, flush and refill annually myself. If you want to just top it up you need to make sure its the same as whats in there already, which is kinda impossible if its not all nice and clean so you can see what colour it is etc.

But until you sorted this issue just top it up with clean water if it needs it and get a compression test done, or buy a compression tester - they are only about £15 and a great tool to have in your tool box for sure.

Also just dawned on me a Y-reg car is 2001 and this not a mk1 but a mk2, I'll move your thread to mk2 section in a mo.

Since its no longer that cold that you risk freezing your coolant
IF you suspect a huge water leak i'd be wacking water in - as it's going to come out

However! if you do find there is no consumption of water,and you have no history of it been changed - Change it

Blue / Green last 2 years

Red (which looks orange/pink) is OAT 5 Year lifespan

Ziggy

Thanks for your responses. So i should try refilling it with fresh water to start with?

Back