Technical Can't get into 5th gear.

Currently reading:
Technical Can't get into 5th gear.

troubadour

Howdy folks,

I was driving today and as i went to go into 5th it was being a bugger and wouldn't go in, drove to a nearby garage which was closing (saturday - the best day to have car trouble after driving to work all week with without problems) so they obviously couldn't help me.

Got it home, and even managed to slip it into 5th, out and back in a few times, but it didn't feel that great when going in.

AA wont come and look at it as it's at home, so i have to drive it somewhere else, then call them(how efficient).

I imagine i'll have to drive it to a garage for monday, but i don't want to be in a position to get raped by a cowboy(like brokeback mountain, but with cars instead of horses), so wondered if anyone on here had an idea of what may be the problem and if there's something i can maybe do too?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have a good weekend.

x

Is it crunching into gear, or just difficult to go in?
Can you get it into 5th when the engine is off?

It will probably be the selector or the selector fork/plate tbh as 5th is very unlikely to wear on the synchro - 2nd or 3rd are most likely to go since people rag it in 1st and 2nd and change up gears quickly.

Howdy folks,

I was driving today and as i went to go into 5th it was being a bugger and wouldn't go in, drove to a nearby garage which was closing (saturday - the best day to have car trouble after driving to work all week with without problems) so they obviously couldn't help me.

Got it home, and even managed to slip it into 5th, out and back in a few times, but it didn't feel that great when going in.

Is your Punto a mark 2? I ask this because i am just wondering if you are missing the lift up piece for going into reverse? Or is it sticking / not going back down fully after you come out of reverse?
Let me know

I just had the AA man come and take it for a test drive, and he stated that he couldn't find anything wrong with it, but obviously putting it into 5th felt a little different to me, after it wouldn't go in yesterday, so i still suspect it's on it's way out maybe.

"Is it crunching into gear, or just difficult to go in?
Can you get it into 5th when the engine is off?"

It wasn't going in at all, now it is, but feels a bit tougher to slot in.

It goes into 5th with the engine off, but i dont know if it would have yesterday when it wasn't going into 5th at all.

"Is your Punto a mark 2? I ask this because i am just wondering if you are missing the lift up piece for going into reverse? Or is it sticking / not going back down fully after you come out of reverse?"

Yes it's a mark 2, i do have the lift up piece for reverse.

That's an interesting point about it not going back down after reversing, but wouldn't that affect 1-4 aswell?

Thanks a lot guys.

x

Is your Punto a mark 2? I ask this because i am just wondering if you are missing the lift up piece for going into reverse? Or is it sticking / not going back down fully after you come out of reverse?
Let me know

my sister's 53 plate, u have to lift it up to put it in reverse but my W plate, you don't? its never given me any hassle though but should it lift up?

if it has the lift up bit it you should have to lift it up to get it in. as iirc that stops you putting it into reverse say when your going down the motorway at 70mph.

Hi , i have an MK2 sporting(6 gear with lift up reverse).
I'm facing a related problem.My car will hardly ever get into first gear!Fifth is ok , but 1st..About half the times i try to select it, it just won't get in! no matter how much you push the selector..I've tried many tricks , like putting a lot of power in it , but then it feels more likely i'll break the selector than put the gear in...At last, i discovered that if i push the clutch twice , the problem is less obvious , but it never dissapead.At the garage(FIAT) , they told me with a very relaced style it's normal and that it happens in many cars .I don't believe them though...Is your's a sporting??Sometimes , my car won't go in to 2nd too , but that's kind of rare.:confused:Also , did you try getting the car in neutral , playing the selector a bit and then reengaging fifth? I always do that when my 1st stucks..

Howdy folks,

AA wont come and look at it as it's at home, so i have to drive it somewhere else, then call them(how efficient).

I imagine i'll have to drive it to a garage for monday, but i don't want to be in a position to get raped by a cowboy(like brokeback mountain, but with cars instead of horses), so wondered if anyone on here had an idea of what may be the problem and if there's something i can maybe do too?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have a good weekend.

Hi I’ve just bought a 08 plate 1.4 sport Fiat 500 and I’m having this exact same problem! It will not go into fifth gear or maybe once or twice at a push! Putting it into reverse is also very very hard I usually have to use two hands - I am lifting up the silver thing to put it into reverse!! Surely this isn’t normal ....

Hi I’ve just bought a 08 plate 1.4 sport Fiat 500 and I’m having this exact same problem! It will not go into fifth gear or maybe once or twice at a push! Putting it into reverse is also very very hard I usually have to use two hands - I am lifting up the silver thing to put it into reverse!! Surely this isn’t normal ....

I also had trouble getting my punto into fifth gear. In my case you can't select fifth if you move the stick all the way to the right, however, if you move the stick just a little bit to the right it slides right in without any trouble.
I suspect that normally you shouldn't be able to move it that far to the right without pulling up the reverse ring. Never bothered to look into it though because once you are used to it is isn't really a problem. Maybe it is a more common problem and this is also happening with yours?

Back