Technical Camshaft seal started leaking badly again...

Currently reading:
Technical Camshaft seal started leaking badly again...

Usually they'll run after a fashion if 2 or so out, but, yep, you can't bend owt.

going to do the seal on our '04 panda 1.1,

been dribbly for last 40K,
but getting messy now : - (

should I buy a seal from FIAT dealer..or is there a better route..??

past experience says will run acceptably 2 teeth out , O.k at 3 teeth,

but ZERO effort if 7 teeth..!! - long story : - )

Charlie

Cam sprocket will be enough, but is easer to remove it if you just loosen the camshaft bearing holding nuts so that the seal gets out and in easily. Unfortunatelly this means you need to remove the rocker cover as well.

finally bought original fiat camshaft oil seal and gonna change it soon

sealing lips?

Attachments

• camshaft.PNG
    camshaft.PNG
    106.8 KB · Views: 26
changed camshaft seal yesterday and it may appear it doesnt leak anymore

it is clearly seen its not leaking from above but directly from camshaft seal

pictures before

Attachments

• 20150401_160717.jpg
    20150401_160717.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 32
  • 20150401_160819.jpg
    20150401_160819.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 28
  • 20150401_160926.jpg
    20150401_160926.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Nice pictures. Just one thing I see is that the rocker cover seal looks slightly untidy. It may be the leak came from there.
My may need doing but at the moment I am leaving with it. I did this in the past when it start leaking, I ignored it and then suddenly it stopped. Hope it does stop again so I don't need to take any actions. Is no where sure to diagnose it in my case as I don't have the luxury to remove the the camshaft sprocket to have a proper look like in your pictures. I am driving the car without the timing belt cover so if it gets worse I should notice in good time.

doesnt leak anymore at camshaft oil seal but just to be sure i have put cardboard under car overnight and this morning there was oil on it, found out there is a tiny hole in sump and it leaks there, well sump lasted 21 years

should i use sump from my donor car or better to buy new?

while cleaning around sump i removed alternator pulley to ease cleaning and saw that bottom side is aligned but camshaft one looks like its 180° out, could this explain slight stuttering like problems when driving

i did time it correctly tho when i changed camshaft seal, unless it moved somehow

i wonder, when engine stops, does one side- either crankshaft or camshaft always align on timing marks or it stops on random places?

I think is OK what you see. The crankshaft rotates twice as fast as the camshaft. So 180 is OK, as another crankshaft rotation will result in the camshaft go to 0 degrees, i.e. aligned. If you get it very wrong as you feared the car will not run at all. One teeth or two off alignment can cause some running issues any more probably will cause bad running.

Back