Technical Camshaft Cover Alignment Tool (1.2 8V)

Currently reading:
Technical Camshaft Cover Alignment Tool (1.2 8V)

AppleFarmer

Hi.

I'm going to replace the cambelt, tensioner and water pump on our 2016 Fiat 500 1.2 8V. According to the installation guide (Gates) and Autodata the following special tool is required: Camshaft Cover Alignment Tool / 2.000.004.300

Camshaft Cover Alignment Tool is used to ensure the Cam end cover (1.4 engines with VVT) is fitted in the correct position to ensure the Camshaft sensor is correctly aligned.

As far as I know the 1.2 engine (169A4.000) has the same cylinder head as the 1.4. The camshaft cover on our car also has the VVT oil valve in the front. I have all the other tools (tensioning tool and crankshaft + camshaft locking tools) but not the Camshaft Cover Alignment Tool. What's the worst case scenario if I mark out the alignment of the camshaft cover (with paint) and just refit it in what would seem to be the same place? Or would it be stupid?

I could of course just mark the sprocket and not lock the camshaft, but I would like to do it right.

verktyg.jpg
Thank you in advance for your help and input.

It’s not a problem

You can use the plate the ECU sits on as an alignment tool

I would add a small dab of RTV on the cam cover gasket on the 4 corner points where the flat sides start to arch over.

It’s not in the instructions but is add from factory at least on some vehicles.

The amount messed up using the alignment tools including by garages I wouldn’t bother taking the cam cover off and time everything from the front using homemade marks

The pulley is held on with a T55 bolt and normally requires over 200Nm to undo. Easy with an industrial impact wrench. Not so easy for a home mechanic. If you use marks there’s no need to touch it.

If it’s running fine I would only undo the bare minimum.

Back