Technical Camblet / fan belt location / question

Currently reading:
Technical Camblet / fan belt location / question

IceAx

Afternoon peeps,

I took my car for a cambelt change in march to Fiat and got it done under the fiat care program.

have just been in the engine bay and noticed that ridges in the belt has some splits in it

it seems to be like this all the way round is this to make the belt more flexible etc?

Also would work carried out by Fiat be covered for a 12month warranty etc?

Have just spoke to a friend of mine and he says im looking at the fan belt,
not the cam belt.

Could some kind sould advise where the cam + fan belt is on a 1.2 please.

is teh cabbelt covered by some plastic?

The belt im looking at is on the left handside near the oil dipstick/

Cheers

Andy

The cambelt will be totaly enclosed inside a plastic cover on the left (looking from the front of the car) of the engine. The belt with the ridges running around the inside of it is the auxiliary drive belt which used to be known as the fan belt.

Dave

The cambelt will be totaly enclosed inside a plastic cover on the left (looking from the front of the car) of the engine. The belt with the ridges running around the inside of it is the auxiliary drive belt which used to be known as the fan belt.

Dave

Thats brilliant, thansk Dave - means my Aux belt needs replacing is this a big / expensive job on a 1.2?

Cheers

Andy

The belt is unlikely to need replacing... I've hardly ever seen one of these polyvee type belts without cracks across the peaks and troughs on the inner surface. The strength of the belt is in the fibres embedded in the rubber around the circumference on the flat side.

Check all round the belt (inside and out) to see if there are any bits of rubber missing or any sign of what looks like white/grey string hanging out of the black rubber... If not, then the belt doesn't need replacing yet.

Dave.

Back