General Cambelt snapping?

Currently reading:
General Cambelt snapping?

chris4500uk

VW Polo 1.9 TDI Sport
I've seen on other cars that it complety kills the valves and maybe pistons if it snaps, but i heard something bout the cinq that when it snaps nothing breaks apart from the belt? is this correct? and if so wooo :D

Yeah it screws ya engine, cos if the pistons come up when the valves are down. . . smash bang boom, total block write off.

Cant see why it wouldnt happen with the 1108 FIRE, but you may be reffering to the 899, which has a chain not a belt and is practically indestructible.

Randomman said:
Yeah it screws ya engine, cos if the pistons come up when the valves are down. . . smash bang boom, total block write off.

I have never seen a block written off, pistons stamped with valves, valves bent sometimes snapped, cams snapped into sections, but never seen a block destroyed. Have you actually seen this? Or just another rumour of the internet.

Randomman said:

Cant see why it wouldnt happen with the 1108 FIRE, but you may be reffering to the 899, which has a chain not a belt and is practically indestructible.

yeah, totally wrong there mate.. 8v FIRE units are safe engines :slayer:

Badger_Benji said:
I have never seen a block written off, pistons stamped with valves, valves bent sometimes snapped, cams snapped into sections, but never seen a block destroyed. Have you actually seen this? Or just another rumour of the internet.

depends what you class as writing it off. If a valve hit a piston in an 1108 engine, (which could only happen if the end of the valve snapped off or something) then it'd damage the piston. Id call that a write off, cos its cheap to source a new 1108 block.

Back