Technical Timing belt snapped, need help getting head/crank synced again!

Currently reading:
Technical Timing belt snapped, need help getting head/crank synced again!

Guy1195

Hi all, 2nd post of despair!

Engine is out, gearbox is back on with new clutch, now for the timing belt. I got the flywheel at tdc marks with the arrow on 0 pointing at the indication mark on flywheel.

I turned the camshaft sprocket so it's mark was lined up with the indicator mark on the head. How do I know if this is matched with the crankshaft? Does it not matter? I don't really understand haha.

Anyway I got the marks on the belt lined up with the marks on the engine then tightened up the pulley with some decent tension and turned it over a few times.. now the lines don't match up at all no matter how many times I've turned it over by hand.. I've probably turned it over about 5 full times. Pleeeeeaase help haha!! This has been going on for 2 weeks worth of rainy/snowy weekends now haha!

Man! I have the same problem, but in my case, the head gasket was leaking and I just messed the timing up myself. I just got my seicento, so now Iám building up the experience. On my SC every marking now lines up. I even went one notch back on the krankshaft pulley to align it perfectly when tensioning. But the car won't even start and I checked for spark and gas, both present. My thought was since it takes the crankshaft one turn for a piston to go up an down and the cam shaft only turn 180 degrees (and opens either the intaks valve of exhaust valve) then this should be easy, as long as the markings are correct. And since the ignition is electronic, the only way to adjust is the belt. But if it doesn't start at all everything should be way off. I also checked the HT lead, which I also changed, fortunatly on the ignition coil housing the sequence is displayed. But since you've mentioned it, I forgot to theck the tcd on the flywheel. Now I did, in my case the crankshaft pully mark is 10 degreed shifted. For me, the lines on the belt only match the markings on the engine after quite a few turns, but the markings on the engine are spot on every time. I will now try to find out rotate the crankshaft pulley, I hope that it is adjustable . . I wil let you know how it turns out.

Yes!!! Sorted it today haha!! Fired up first turn. I just ignored the marks on the belt, flywheel/crank at tdc 0, marks on cam lined up and even with just 3 cylinders it started right up haha! I was worried cam was going to be on wrong intake/exhaust cycle

Back