Technical Cambelt 1992 2.5 Diesel Turbo

Currently reading:
Technical Cambelt 1992 2.5 Diesel Turbo

JasonDethleff

I have just bought a beautiful old motorhome a Dethleff Globtrotter :) and already had a great time
in Cornwall, South and North Wales and then the lake district. But I just found out the cambelt was last
done in 2016 its done hardly any miles but Most people recommend I get it replaced.

Is there any expert out there who can do the cambelt for me I am willing to drive up to 2 hours from London?

I would love to try it myself but I would not say I am expert and it might be beyond me lol Unless
there is a very good guide out there. Perhaps someone out there would be willing to tutor me?

Hi :)

No pointers to a workshop ..sorry

Just make sure you get a 'TimingBelt Kit'

As with seldom used vehicles..like campers.. its often an idler bearing failing that will trash the belt

Labour.wise.. a kit isnt adding much to the bill..as once the covers are all off

Its probably another 10 minutes :)

Your 2.5 TD will probably be a Sofim 8144.xx engine, from which the 2.8 JTD was developed. If this is the case, then a good read through the guide for the 2.8 JTD, posted by @FreeSpirit, will give an idea of what is involved.

The important difference is that the 2.5TD has mechanical fuel injection, and the injection pump timing is critical. Also on the 2.8 JTD at least, the tension and guide rollers have similar but different diameters.

I’ve just changed the cambelt on my 1997 Ducato based 2.5d, a straightforward job providing you have the timing tool set (£15 on eBay. Not difficult, hardest part is removing the crank pulley which is torqued up quite tight to 240lb, you Ideally need an impact wrench which I borrowed.
I’ll do a guide shortly, it’s no more difficult than any OHC engine.

Attachments

• 8D470AF7-A458-4AD7-9F5E-82E7FFCC545C.jpeg
    8D470AF7-A458-4AD7-9F5E-82E7FFCC545C.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 51
  • 69042ED8-23B2-422F-9249-AFAD01919263.jpeg
    69042ED8-23B2-422F-9249-AFAD01919263.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 53
  • 87399B73-F30A-4A5B-8E97-6824B39C43F2.jpeg
    87399B73-F30A-4A5B-8E97-6824B39C43F2.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 53
  • E33AE973-7C6D-4322-ADEE-8F0F7A7C8533.jpeg
    E33AE973-7C6D-4322-ADEE-8F0F7A7C8533.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 57
Your 2.5 TD will probably be a Sofim 8144.xx engine, from which the 2.8 JTD was developed. If this is the case, then a good read through the guide for the 2.8 JTD, posted by @FreeSpirit, will give an idea of what is involved.

The important difference is that the 2.5TD has mechanical fuel injection, and the injection pump timing is critical. Also on the 2.8 JTD at least, the tension and guide rollers have similar but different diameters.
Cheers

I’ve just changed the cambelt on my 1997 Ducato based 2.5d, a straightforward job providing you have the timing tool set (£15 on eBay. Not difficult, hardest part is removing the crank pulley which is torqued up quite tight to 240lb, you Ideally need an impact wrench which I borrowed.
I’ll do a guide shortly, it’s no more difficult than any OHC engine.
Hiya the guide would be great when you get a chance. But I do notice a problem immediately in your photos I see you took off the whole bumper and headlights. On mine I have no idea how to do that because the bumper seems to be revited in position and has several unusual custom fixes. My worry is I would stumble upon a unforseen issue and get stuck..Bear in mind I would have to find a quite car park to do this because my camper is parked on the street it's not on a drive.

How much should I expect to pay to get this done at a garage?

Hiya the guide would be great when you get a chance. But I do notice a problem immediately in your photos I see you took off the whole bumper and headlights. On mine I have no idea how to do that because the bumper seems to be revited in position and has several unusual custom fixes. My worry is I would stumble upon a unforseen issue and get stuck..Bear in mind I would have to find a quite car park to do this because my camper is parked on the street it's not on a drive.

How much should I expect to pay to get this done at a garage?
You’re looking at around £400 + for the job, parts only cost me £70 + £15 for the timing kit, and there may be incidentals like the crank pulley seal (part £10), water pump (if leaking and high mileage, not an easy job.
It’s one of those jobs that if you’re confident to do it fine, if not it’s garage time 😬
On you tube there’s Daves Shed where he replaces the timing belt on a 2.5 to give you an idea of what to expect 👍🏻

You’re looking at around £400 + for the job, parts only cost me £70 + £15 for the timing kit, and there may be incidentals like the crank pulley seal (part £10), water pump (if leaking and high mileage, not an easy job.
It’s one of those jobs that if you’re confident to do it fine, if not it’s garage time 😬
On you tube there’s Daves Shed where he replaces the timing belt on a 2.5 to give you an idea of what to expect 👍🏻

Attachments

• FDC37BD8-85AB-43C2-9A37-4C3DF3AD1563.jpeg
    FDC37BD8-85AB-43C2-9A37-4C3DF3AD1563.jpeg
    152.2 KB · Views: 42
Hi Brownie can I do it without removing the bumper and front end ? I will check out that YouTube video. Cheers

Back