Technical Cam belt replacement

Currently reading:
Technical Cam belt replacement

Barkydog

Hi all my 1.4T Jet 120 2019 is 5 yrs old and done 35k. I thought cambelt was due at 5yrs or 70k. My local garage wouldn’t change it as they said it needed special tools to lock cams. I contacted main dealer in Salisbury and they said it is due replacement at 6yrs or 50k. They also quoted service with cambelt change £906. I thought that was pretty fair considering. So next year it is then.

I caught them out, renault wanted £800, then found out it was a naissan and said they couldn't work on it. It's a renault engine.

Just for fun, I asked and I was quoted by the main dealership 500€ for my 1.6MJ2! I got tears of laughter... Buying an aftermarket cambelt set (complete with water pump) costs around 70-120€, depending on manufacturer plus around 50€ for labour cost, add up to a maximum 170€ on an independent, but trusted, mechanic. Never go to the dealership when you have the option to avoid it.

Hi, because I have the same question about cambelt change, so I'll use this thread.

My '67 Tipo t-jet is due to cambelt change so after initial researches I shortened two options.
- get it done in a reputable local garage quoted me, £475,- cambelt & water pump + coolant (I don't expect original FCA parts).
- do more researches and get it done DIY using original FCA parts (shop 4parts) and locking kit (ebay). I have accesses to Hayes-autofix guide describing the whole process.

The question is it worthy doing it DIY and save some money but experience all the hassle?..or get it done by experts and pay. Thank you.

Last edited:
On my 500X I have not done the cam belt change myself however I am experienced in cam belt / pump / pulley changes. I was going to do the job myself and bought all the parts but after a long stressful rebuild of the back of our Barchetta my back and arthritic limbs were not up to the job so let Dean at Small Car Services do all the work. Note! I was about to purchase the timing tools but Dean beat me to the job :)

Regarding the work / effort required I don't think it is any different to do on the 500X than other Fiats except for compared to older Fiats:

1) Timing kit different but not expensive - £40 to £60
2) Cam/No1 cylinder end of engine has the engine mount which has to be removed
3) Gearbox/No4 cylinder end requires the vacuum pump to be remove. Not difficult just fiddly with battery and air intake gubbins
4) Water pump does not use "O" ring seal so sealant is required and ideally 24 hours to fully cure

So if I get the opportunity and body fitness to do the cam belt etc. when next due then I'm certainly not afraid to take the job on. However I would split the major service work. By that I mean do the routine stuff like filters, oils, plugs, etc. first / or second and to the cam belt etc. 2nd or 1st with running time in between. Order is not important IMHO but splits out any likely issues into two separate stages with running and settling time between each stage.

Thank you for your reply. In principles, changing t-jet cambelt is similar to multiair engine, differences start at locking the camshaft. Instead of removing a vacuum pump there's an opening on the engine side to insert a locking pin.
1714940515928.png

Gaining access to the opening requires removing some heat-shields and covers, that is easy. But according to Haynes guides, next steps are to remove the catalytic converter, disconnect turbocharger oil lines!..and that my concerns. Have to be these two steps really done? If so are there any gaskets or specific washers that'll need replacing too? If somebody knows please answer. Thank you.

Last edited:
Back