Technical Cabrio queries (2)

Currently reading:
Technical Cabrio queries (2)

Chopin

Hi Guys - A couple of jobs on my soft top are re-gluing the 3 cross members into the side seams of the fabric and attending to the flaking lacquer on the roof 'spoiler'. Any recommendations for a suitable glue that will take the heat and whether I can clean up the spoiler - preferably in place. Thx

Hi Guys - A couple of jobs on my soft top are re-gluing the 3 cross members into the side seams of the fabric and attending to the flaking lacquer on the roof 'spoiler'. Any recommendations for a suitable glue that will take the heat and whether I can clean up the spoiler - preferably in place. Thx
I wouldn't know about suitable glues but the spoiler would be a lot better, not to mention easier to work on, if removed from the car. It's just a case of unclipping the rear headlining and undoing four screws.

Thanks - I will look into removing the spoiler to refinish with plastic paint (Bumper?) - I am going to do a test with 3M VHB tape - If it is invisible from the outside it will be a clean option (I hate contact glue)

Over time i dont expect the tape to be strong enough and you will end up having to do the job again! from my own experience with a similar problem on a ford street ka even over the counter contact adhesives were not strong enough! best bet is to google "INDUSTRIAL STRENGHT! contact glue and see whats on offer these days! then route through the adds until you find something with a 5 star rating and some decent user reviews!

My thoughts are you are correct - I have used VHB successfully on a few things so will do a test.. If it is visible due to its c.2mm thickness it will fail at first hurdle then onto strength and longevity - will keep all advised

Not the best time of year to be doing it is it!!!
I take it you have a garage to work in ?- if you do go down the adhesive route then be sure the garage is warmed up to a decent level before working as glue and damp & cold dont mix so well! also id leave the top to "dry" and "settle" for a good few days once the repair is done to ensure maximum bond strength!

re-gluing the 3 cross members into the side seams of the fabric
Been trying to get my head around what you mean. Where would you apply an adhesive?
1702042476005.png

You are correct in showing the main strut - there is also a lighter one between these large struts which seem to be made from a flexible material - anyway mine have all done a runner

Attachments

• IMG_4275.JPG
    IMG_4275.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 27
You are correct in showing the main strut - there is also a lighter one between these large struts which seem to be made from a flexible material - anyway mine have all done a runner
Ah, I'm with you now. I find a couple of those flexible end flaps have come out from time to time - in fact one was out when I took the photo above - but I just push them back into the fold in the fabric. Doesn't seem to have any effect on the operation of the roof. There is a slight tackiness in the fabric which might indicate they were glued originally, but not very strongly.

Actually thin VHB might be just the thing to hold them if you want to stop them coming out.

Ah, I'm with you now. I find a couple of those flexible end flaps have come out from time to time - in fact one was out when I took the photo above - but I just push them back into the fold in the fabric. Doesn't seem to have any effect on the operation of the roof. There is a slight tackiness in the fabric which might indicate they were glued originally, but not very strongly.

Actually thin VHB might be just the thing to hold them if you want to stop them coming out.
Yes - same here.. They have been out for a while but recently the roof has folded out of sync so tomorrow I am going to put VHB strips each side of a couple of the struts - will advise of my success after a run in the sun :cool:

Back