Business Email

Currently reading:
Business Email

So im currently running sbs03 and exchange together inhouse.

We are in need of an upgrade(as you can see lol) and i am currently looking at the options and how to save money.

To get a server and licences that is going to run our emails, our SQL databases and such is going to cost a hefty chunk and then in a few years its going to be well out of date and will need another upgrade unless i hold out like i have done here. Also im becoming more and more busy with being on the road so less time to take care of the server.

Now my options are:
  1. Google Apps - Gmail, Calender, Etc. The price of £33 a year + small amount for 10 Year Archiving (which we need being Insolvency Practitioners)
  2. Dedicated Exchange Server - Unmanaged
  3. Dedicated Exchange Server - Managed
  4. Other - any other options?

i am swaying towards Google Apps atm but the problem is ive heard people mention some problems with them and people arent happy with it, But some big companies do use it?!

Anyone got any other suggestions?

So im currently running sbs03 and exchange together inhouse.

We are in need of an upgrade(as you can see lol) and i am currently looking at the options and how to save money.

To get a server and licences that is going to run our emails, our SQL databases and such is going to cost a hefty chunk and then in a few years its going to be well out of date and will need another upgrade unless i hold out like i have done here. Also im becoming more and more busy with being on the road so less time to take care of the server.

Now my options are:
  1. Google Apps - Gmail, Calender, Etc. The price of £33 a year + small amount for 10 Year Archiving (which we need being Insolvency Practitioners)
  2. Dedicated Exchange Server - Unmanaged
  3. Dedicated Exchange Server - Managed
  4. Other - any other options?

i am swaying towards Google Apps atm but the problem is ive heard people mention some problems with them and people arent happy with it, But some big companies do use it?!

Anyone got any other suggestions?
university use google

I'd see where you stand holding customer data with a third party. A lot of industries aren't allowed (Financial Services, IFA's etc).

If it's really a problem looking after it in house I'd say go for a managed exchange server.

Ideally the best soluton would be like I said in the other thread and upgrade to SBS 08 Premium as it includes SQL Server and an additional 2003/8 Server license to redeploy your old server or install a second to split the duties. It's suprisingly well prices too considering it's microsoft.

Thanks for the help guys.

Im the only one in the office that knows how to do more than turn on the computer! lol. So i cant be having high maintenance hardware/software/linux etc.

Im a business development manager and it means im going to be out and about all day nearly everyday including early morning, late nights and even weekends so time is an issue.

I have thought about upgradingsoftware but hardware is also the issue, its quite old now parts are 3-6 years old dependant on what it is and so on. Was just thinking of keeping the hardware in for the SQL databases with the highly sensitive data on.

I am realy into the idea of Google Apps but as i said people seem to be saying bad things about it. As im only catering for 14ish (maybe a few more) staff for email its not expensive either, about £33py per user or £38 py per user including archiving.

My gut feeling says to avoid it too tbh. It would be worth considering if you weren't reliant on SQL and thus removing the server from the premises completely.

Once 2008 SBS is setup it needs next to no looking after. I installed one in November last year and It's needed looking at remotely once during that time which was just a missed backup. It even emails problems to the administrator automatically :D.

Doing the rough maths you won't really save any money. Say you average 16 users over the year:-

16 x £38 = £608 a Year.

5years = £3040

£3000ish could quite easily get you a decent spec server AND SBS 08 premium which would last you 5years no problem. Not only that you'll get all the perks such as OWA, RWW, Sharepoint, ActiveSync (for Smartphones).

Only bonus going with Google is monthly payment rather than investment although you could lease the kit for next to nothing nowadays.

Last edited:
Your suggesting a solution that needs ALOT of extra man power to manage effectively when he says he's running out of time as it is?

Linux is all well and good but not for a novice in a mission critical environment.

The OPs solution seems viable enough. But, in mission critical situations, the NSA and Google (for example) use Linux. Once you add in the time sent chasing up MS licences, de-fragging and sorting out the viruses, M$ looses much of its appeal. One of the advantages of *nixes is that they generally require less staff to maintain. Arguably those staff have to be a little more competent and better paid............

Your suggesting a solution that needs ALOT of extra man power to manage effectively when he says he's running out of time as it is?

Linux is all well and good but not for a novice in a mission critical environment.
One setup it wouldn't require any more maintenance than a Windows box. I agree it isn't the setup for a novice, however herpsuk might well be a Linux master for all I know.

Back