Opened a spam email attachment!

Currently reading:
Opened a spam email attachment!

Hello guys.
Yesterday I received an email from an engineering company in Carlisle, with an excel file attached, and the email said it was a purchase order. I was suspicious immediately as I had never heard of the company, but the company does exist. So I left the email where it was for the time being (unopened) and tried to call the company to check if it was indeed a purchase order (which it just might have been). I couldn't get through on the phone.
I then switched to another email account and opened an email that had just arrived from a regular contact, and clicked on the photo attachment they had sent me. Somehow, there was a lag in the email program, so that as I clicked on the attachment in my "trusted" email, I noticed that the preview panel was still showing the suspicious email, and as I clicked to open the photo file that I was expecting, instead the excel file from the engineering company opened.
It was completely blank. As soon as I realised what had happened I shut it down and ran a scan with Malwarebytes and the Mcafee Live Safe that came pre-installed on my computer.
Mcafee said that it had found and removed a program it didn't like, which if I remember rightly was called either a "loader" or "installer".
Everything seems to be running fine, and I can't see any programs running that I don't recognise.
Now I am terrified to log on to anything sensitive like the bank.
Should I be worried? Is there anything else I should be doing?

Sorry - I forgot an important bit. I did eventually get through to the engineering company and they had a recorder message sayiung that if I was ringing because I had received a message from XXXXXX it was spam and it should be deleted, and they apologised.

You may have caught it. Good instincts to close it though. My friend recieved an email from a PC xxxx of Lancashire Constabulary which turned out to be a virus.

It's possible that was just fingerprinting the computer. Apparently they do that to get an idea of what you're running. Then they follow up later.

Keep an eye on the processes tab, and have a quick rummage through your program files - check nothing shifty has appeared. :)

Thanks a lot. What was really annoying was that I knew right away that I wan't going to open it, but even my arthritic fingers and thumbs were too fast for the Windows Mail program (!) and even though I had already jumped to another account and different attachment, Windows Mail executed the "open" command on the previous account that I had been on, so it shouldn't have happened.
Anyway, thanks for the advice :)

Back