Technical Brought new car - broken down ☹️

Currently reading:
Technical Brought new car - broken down ☹️

Pammy500

Hi everybody new to the forum, pleased to meet you all. Brought the car last February drove 39 miles and the car broke down when it got hot. Got recovered on a lorry back home to Wolverhampton, where I live. Haven’t had chance to do anything to it until the last few weeks.
The engine is now stripped down to pieces. Valve spring compresser arrived today so such a horrible day decided to take the valves out the head. Now my dilemma - on the valve springs there was only a cup on the top, no cup at the bottom so the valve springs are sitting on the head! The car is a 1970 Fiat 500L with a 110F engine. My question is should there be valve cups at the bottom as well as the top? Any help much appreciated. Cheers

Hi @Pammy500 and welcome to Fiat Forum.
wave.gif

This is actually the section for the modern 500L, I've requested it s moved to the classic 500 section. I'm not a 500 expert but I would not expect to see cups under the valve springs on a engine of this type and age. I do know that the 500 valve clearances have a tendency to close up so that could be the cause of your original issue.

Robert G8RPI.

Last edited:
Back