Tuning Breather breathing where?

Currently reading:
Tuning Breather breathing where?

while idely wandering in the depths of the forum picture forrest I found a shiney picture, and looked and looked and wondered much....what could this breather be?

bottom right...

Answers on a post-card and banish the evil of not putting two and two together so I can sleep happily ever after in forum wonderland.

Sleep.deprived.alex

The only thing I can think of is a modified sump breather????

It looks like one of those nasty breather filters. Supposedly allows the engine to make more power but the gain is so small you'd struggle to measure it.

Normally crankcase fumes are fed back into the air intake to be burnt bu the engine. These gases will be warm but as a %age of the total airflow are next to nothing. Burning off the unburnt hydrocarbons is more important than filtering out any splattered oil and allowing the fumes to pollute the street/car occupants.

Cheap enough but a waste of money and frankly irresponsible. I believe they are now banned even on race engines.

First I thought it could have been a sump breather too, but couldn't figure out a good reason for that, and the breather from the cam cover is fed back into the carb' as it should be by the GSR kit....then I went wandering down the road of why the hell would the gearbox need a breather...

Oh well, another mystery solved. Wonder if anyones recognised thier engine bay in this yet? I can't remember where I found the picture, but bar the un-named breather it is a tidy looking 8v bay.

Good point it could be on the gearbox.

If the car was needed to go through deep water the gearbox could get water in through the breather. Putting on a long tube with a high level filter on the end could be a way to solve that.

So on 2nd thoughts, maybe those little filters are not such a bad idea.

I love the idea of a scuba gearbox, shame the GSR intake sits so low....

speaking of which I wonder if anyone has had such problems with that particular induction kit, it certainly puts me off, being so low....that and living in sunny scotland.

speaking of which I wonder if anyone has had such problems with that particular induction kit, it certainly puts me off, being so low....that and living in sunny scotland.

I have seen these bypass valves advertised recently, they are supposed to stop water getting sucked up the intake. I couldnt say if they actually work though.

t_aembypass.jpg

I have read a few threads on hear about people hydrolocking there engines
http://www.autotoys.com/pics/thumbs/t_aembypass.jpg

If the intake is low and you hit water at full bore the engine will go bang. Diesels are always full bore so while they wont suffer water on the spark plugs they ingest water even more badly. Unless going slowly enough to only suck a little water (which the engine will cope with anyway) that valve thing is unlikely to help.

the gsr being so low is what put me off, i designed my own instead using propper piping, looks the biz,:slayer:

i think those things that plug into your brake servo are suppose to increase fuel economy, altho there usefullness is yet to be proven(n)

If the intake is low and you hit water at full bore the engine will go bang. Diesels are always full bore so while they wont suffer water on the spark plugs they ingest water even more badly. Unless going slowly enough to only suck a little water (which the engine will cope with anyway) that valve thing is unlikely to help.

but this isnt too low, mine is about a foot lower and on the other side where more water sits on the road. also i live in the sticks where there is no drainage and ive had no problem. only people that will get into trouble are them that drive through floods and they will kill their cars even with standard induction

I wasnt pointing fingers and agree totally. Water ingestion shouldn't be a problem unless the driver slams their car flat out through a ford (water not another car :))

But that concertina thing in #7 wont do anything to help.

Because they were so noisy, some early 90's diesels had the intakes run right to the front and down behind the bumper. On some Vauxhauls the intake was about 12" above the road and very easy to smash in pretty shallow water. My brother-in-law bent the crankshaft on his Carlton.

The intake up at headlamp level should be OK unless deep water is a regular problem.

Back