500 Breakbeat Grey 1.3MJ Sport

Currently reading:
500 Breakbeat Grey 1.3MJ Sport

This pic was straight after the springs were fitted, so it's settled a wee bit since then. Not a great pic, but gives an idea of how the car sits after fitting the Pro-Kit with 15" wheels:

PT_500.jpg

Not you as well :eek:
So what's the story ?

Sorry for the delay, haven't been on in a while!

I've got the wrong engine basically. For the driving I do (mainly city) the car is usually idling at 900/1000rpm trying to clean it's DPF which will no doubt be polluting the fresh oil i've just put in the car :bang:

I'm going to get it advertised this week once the car is clean. I've already been looking at replacements, which are miles apart (the petrol 1.2 and an S2000).

Looking at what's on the market just now, I'm probably going to advertise at around £7900 - anyone think that is unreasonable?

Sorry for the delay, haven't been on in a while!

I've got the wrong engine basically. For the driving I do (mainly city) the car is usually idling at 900/1000rpm trying to clean it's DPF which will no doubt be polluting the fresh oil i've just put in the car :bang:

I'm going to get it advertised this week once the car is clean. I've already been looking at replacements, which are miles apart (the petrol 1.2 and an S2000).

Looking at what's on the market just now, I'm probably going to advertise at around £7900 - anyone think that is unreasonable?
Oooh, did you post the ad? What are you up to now?! Another 500 or something else?

What's the year of the MJ and what's the mileage on it ?
Can you claim a FSH ?
Will you leave the modifications on it ?

Curently at around 28K although rises daily through use! FSH, and it's FIAT to 25K.

I plan to leave the modifications on it, but have standard items which could be fitted.

You're talking about two totally different things... :p

I know :p

I'm looking to spend a bit less on my next car also, probably < £6K so if a good Petrol 1.2 came up in that price range (preferably Sport and Red) I would jump at it. Alternatively there are plenty of S2000's out there for that kind of money, and it's a car i've always quite fancied owning :)

Yes but the consumption , taxes, maintenance costs etc. are totally different.

UK Road Tax is £215 for 12 months for cars older than 2005 I'm sure, which is what I would be going for. Quite a jump from £20 :eek:

Fuel Consumption again would be worse, I think around town it's mid-to-high 20's (mpg) and at motorway speeds low 30's.

Maintenance costs wouldn't be an issue, they are generally very easy cars to work on and I could do a lot of it myself (for example oil and filer, air filter, pollen filter etc.)

If I do get a S2000 chances are it will be a fair bit cheaper than what I sell the 500 for, so the money saved against the extra expense per annum is probably pretty close. I think deep down my first choice would be a petrol 500, i'm just not that confident i'll get a good petrol sport in budget.

Curently at around 28K although rises daily through use! FSH, and it's FIAT to 25K.

I plan to leave the modifications on it, but have standard items which could be fitted.

UK Road Tax is £215 for 12 months for cars older than 2005 I'm sure, which is what I would be going for. Quite a jump from £20 :eek:

Fuel Consumption again would be worse, I think around town it's mid-to-high 20's (mpg) and at motorway speeds low 30's.

Maintenance costs wouldn't be an issue, they are generally very easy cars to work on and I could do a lot of it myself (for example oil and filer, air filter, pollen filter etc.)

If I do get a S2000 chances are it will be a fair bit cheaper than what I sell the 500 for, so the money saved against the extra expense per annum is probably pretty close. I think deep down my first choice would be a petrol 500, i'm just not that confident i'll get a good petrol sport in budget.

I wasn't too sure what year your car was but to return the jester from JR on the purchase of my replacement for the 500 1.4 here are the valuation guides for your MJ. Noticed that you have the glass roof on the Sport which makes it a little unique...

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/prices/used/fiat/500/hatchback-2008/39094/?yearplate=88
'Late' 2008 Private Good £6570
http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/prices/used/fiat/500/hatchback-2008/39093/?yearplate=90
'Early' 2009 Private Good £7,255

Yes but the consumption , taxes, maintenance costs etc. are totally different.

I would probably put you off the S2000. I did look at one a few moons ago and despite having a brilllant engine (they do use a lot of oil) the back end is a little wayward. Rear wheel drive cars particularily with the amount of power that this has, has really has to be treated with respect. Reckon your mpg would be more the low 20s around town as opposed to the mid to late 20s. When I went into the market for a rear wheel drive convertible I bought an MX5 and then moved on to a 323i but that had stability control. Still its highly unlikely that I would go back to a MX5 after having a 500 - totally different driving experience.

On the current mode of transport the T-jet engine is amazing. I would probably save your pennies with a 1.2 and then splash out on a 'parked' A500. Quite a few of them around the UK that don't really get used only being brought out at the weekends for a bit of fun. Warranty on them is expiring on '09 examples in the next month or two so I reckon you would be looking at £8K for a good example around the middle of the year. When I bought the FW500 I bought it a desirable female spec and really enjoyed it in comparison to the early manly Sport model. It also sold within a month as opposed to taking 3 months on the Sport model since all the calls I got were from females.

EDIT: Just had a thought :eek: S2000 = hairy chest with a gold medallion :)

Last edited:
Thats for the reply LHB! It's a 2008 (08), I should have said. I based my price on condition, mileage, spec and what's currently on eBay/Pistonheads. I may do a Glass's valuation as it tends to be a better guide than Parkers, and is used by independant traders and dealerships.

I will certainly advertise it as is, and perhaps put it back to standard if I'm not getting much interest. Mines as feminine as others, and it's a car a lot of males would turn there nose up at so I don't expect it to sell particularly quickly. Maybe I should get some of those stick-on eyelashes for it :yum:

The hairy chest S2000 comment! :devil: I think one of the first things I would do if I bought one is get the geometry set-up, as I think even from factory they can be a bit unpredictable. To me it would initially be a cheap (to by) fun car that I wouldn't lose much on in terms of depreciation, although I probably would end up fitting coilovers, widers wheels etc. as per my last Honda :rolleyes:

First choice is still a petrol 1.2 500, I also like the idea of an A500 at a later date!

Glass' Valuation came out at £7500 for private sale (minus the modifications I have made)... Think I will advertise for £7800 and let myself get haggled down if need be!

The hairy chest S2000 comment! :devil: I think one of the first things I would do if I bought one is get the geometry set-up, as I think even from factory they can be a bit unpredictable. To me it would initially be a cheap (to by) fun car that I wouldn't lose much on in terms of depreciation, although I probably would end up fitting coilovers, widers wheels etc. as per my last Honda :rolleyes:

First choice is still a petrol 1.2 500, I also like the idea of an A500 at a later date!

I did a quick check on Irish prices and the S2000 (with the exception of 1 car) is north of €8K. :eek: Since the emissions are 235grs/km (not bad for 237bhp) it is subject to the highest VRT levy so it is artificially keeping the secondhand prices high here. UK prices seem keen. Evo did a review and gave a good summary of the S2000 where they felt that the MX5 was organic and the S2000 just as a piece of machinery. :confused: Later models ('08+) got a revised suspension and Vehicle Stability Assist. Early models would put hairs on your chest and I reckon I got mine from the wayward Miata 1.6. :p You wouldn't be the first 'guy' to go a bit mad after buying a 500 given but at least it should be a much cheaper proposition than a Boxster.
Still the 1.2 is the sensible option (y) with a A500 if you can maintain the interest in the future.

Glass' Valuation came out at £7500 for private sale (minus the modifications I have made)... Think I will advertise for £7800 and let myself get haggled down if need be!

Best of luck with the advertisement. Unfortunately what a car is valued at is different to what you can get for it. Glass roof should certainly help the sale along with the Sport spec.

Attachments

• Blame the Miata.JPG
    Blame the Miata.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Gave the car a good wash today and took some pics for the imminent 'For Sale' ad. The pics turned out rubbish (iPhone 4S), this is the best of a bad bunch:

500_graffiti.png

Back