Technical Break light warning?

Currently reading:
Technical Break light warning?

bigad

Hi, my 52 plate stilo has just had a new clutch fitted, and when I picked it up from the garage. The mechanic told me, my brakes were really worn.

The car passed its mot last month with no advisories, and I've seen others mention brake warning lights on their dash. I don't have any warnings. The mechanic seems decent enough tho, so not sure if I should believe him?

Would my 52 Stilo have a warning on the dash if the breaks were worn? Or is this on later models?

One of the front pads has a warning indicator contact. The system assumes all pads wear at the same rate so if it happens the pad is not particularly worn , compared to the others, then the warning might not show. (The lead from the pad sometimes becomes detached or corroded and then wouldn't give a signal anyway of course)
You don't say whether your man said front, rear or pads, discs or a combination of all these. I should find out.
If you passed the MOT on brakes they are working ok (?) . I would check them again for wear after a few thousand miles depending on what your mechanic said.

I don't think he specified the actual fault, he just said the front breaks are worn and that they will need replaced soon, then said he would charge £120 to replace them. He also said he would of failed them if he was doing the MOT. But the MOT only got done in January. But the MOT was done by previous owner before I bought it.

Re: Brake light warning?

Autodata time for Front BRAKE pad replacement & install 40mins. I'd say that was a very expensive garage!
It only takes me about an hour to do the job and I'm an aging old fart that forgets where he put a spanner he was using a moment ago.

Do it yourself and save money.

I changed my front pads a few weeks ago, because my brakes were grinding. When I took the old pads off they fell into 3 pieces into my hand. They were so dangerously thin, it was lucky I did change them.
I also wondered why I did not get a brake warning light come on the dash, until I noticed that the cable leading to the pads was broken.
I do not know for sure, but I am assuming the broken cable was the reason for not getting a brake warning light come on.

Yes... all Stilos have the brake pad wear sensor.

The wiring diagram is in eLEARN in the instrument panel section.

K20 = Left front brake pad wear sensor.
M1 = Body computer.
B2 = Dasboard fuse box.
E50 = Instrument panel.

Attachments

• Dash Wiring.JPG
    Dash Wiring.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Back