General Break disc conversion.

Currently reading:
General Break disc conversion.

Timowen6

Hello. I’ve had a break disc conversion done about 2 years ago to my 1968 F but I seem to have an ongoing problem of the brakes sticking on.
The garage ended up taking some material off the pads last year which worked for a bit but they seem to be sticking again.
Has anyone got any ideas on what to do for a long term fix.
These are the callipers that are fitted in the pictures. I think they are from a Punto.
Thanks very much in advance.
Tim IMG_7607.JPGIMG_7610.JPG

Hello. I’ve had a break disc conversion done about 2 years ago to my 1968 F but I seem to have an ongoing problem of the brakes sticking on.
The garage ended up taking some material off the pads last year which worked for a bit but they seem to be sticking again.
Has anyone got any ideas on what to do for a long term fix.
These are the callipers that are fitted in the pictures. I think they are from a Punto.
Thanks very much in advance.
Tim View attachment 206152View attachment 206153

Hi Tim, are the calipers clean?? In the past I've had a problem with a Merc that had a known problem of dirty brakes and subsequent sticking. If they are, check that the piston is retracting back into the caliper after break application, if you have any doubt strip the callipers and check for any damage in the piston bore travel area - rust, scoring and any steps where the piston has stuck
before. Just a thought but why take material off the pads?? Are they the correct part for the disc/caliper set up ????????? If you have Punto part look up the disc size (thickness) and measure yours - they may not be correct.
Ian.

Hi Ian.

Thanks for your reply. It was the mechanic I use that shaved a bit off the pads. I will make sure they are the right pads for the callipers.
I will also get him to dismantle the breaks and check everything. I would have thought he should have done this but it’s worth a double check.
It could be that the callipers have just had a coat of paint and not an overhaul when I bought them.

Thanks again.
Tim

Hi Ian.

Thanks for your reply. It was the mechanic I use that shaved a bit off the pads. I will make sure they are the right pads for the callipers.
I will also get him to dismantle the breaks and check everything. I would have thought he should have done this but it’s worth a double check.
It could be that the callipers have just had a coat of paint and not an overhaul when I bought them.

Thanks again.
Tim

Hi Tim, It's always a difficult call when someone else has done the work, might be an idea to check if the disc's are correct too - let us know how it all turns out.
Ian.

If this is a conversion using those calipers, which is quite common, and it is for 12" wheels then the disc pads have to be modified before replacement. They are not something you can buy off the shelf. Standard pads will interfere with the disc hub. The people who sell these conversions do not tell you this.

Forgot to mention that the discs have to machined down as well for the 12" conversion so also not available off the shelf.

Re: Brake disc conversion.

1. Take out the brake pads
2. Manually push and pull the caliper body in and out on the slides.
3. If they don’t move in & out easily that’s your problem. To free them off squirt a touch of WD40 behind the rubber covers. ( to fix properly dismantle the slides and clean up with wire wool and very lightly grease up on reassembly).
4 CAREFULLY pull out the Caliper piston a little and check the outer surface is shiny and not rusty. Again clean up with wire wool then check it will move in & out. There will be some resistance as you’re working against the.hydraulic fluid in the system.

Back