General Bravo problem

Currently reading:
General Bravo problem

fiatwidnes

afternoon all

Around 2 weeks back my bravo (1.9 diesel, 2007) developed a problem with its acceleration. my foot was down but the car wasnt responding as it should until it hit around 2/3thousand revs(different gears). over the past couple of weeks its got gradually worse and i was due to take my car to the garage tomorrow. Today however after giving it a start on the drive it starts but appears to be chugging and smoke is coming from the exhaust! :( having looked it up initially it seemed to point to the egr valve but now with smoke coming from the exhaust im worried it might be something much worse.

my cars on 49,000 miles now, any ideas what this might be, im not great with cars and don't want to take it to the garage blind if you know what i mean.

Thanks

black smoke, thats a good sign so its fuel, not oil or water (blue and white)

sounds like a suspect EGR. is there any dash lights?

also heard people having problems with the DPF giving similar symptoms, but i have no knowledge of them as all the diesel cars i have had were from before they starting using these

I would say it still sounds like an EGR issue. Im not sure when the DPFs were fitted, our 2007 (sept) 1.9 multijet doesnt have one....

Most if not all 1.9 Multijet Bravo's in the UK are DPF-free. It's just the 1.6 and (don't we know it) 2.0 ones that have DPF.

There's been the odd mention of some 1.9s having DPFs but as far as the UK is concerned i don't think they do.

With the stunted performance & black smoke i'd go with EGR valve. Not really a major problem & shouldn't cost the Earth to sort out.

Thanks for the help guys, its in the garage tomorrow and it does all seem to point to the EGR.

Ill keep you posted.

What was the problem? Mine has gone in today with the same problem. Turbo not winding up and a lot of black smoke indicating not enough oxygen......

Mine turned out to be a boost pipe had slowly broke making the problem worse until it just fell off. Replaced pipe and back to normal! Also i had the EGR valve replaced about 4 months back but will be getting it blanked.

Back