Technical bravo hgt clutch

Currently reading:
Technical bravo hgt clutch

johnmrkw

hi guys just put new engine in a bravo hgt.trouble is think clutch plate may be stuck.i no i should have checked before putting back together but all part the learning process i suppose.does any one know how could possibly free it without stripping down again.when start engine in gear with foot on clutch pedal the car still jumps forward.if any one thinks could be different problem very happy to hear your views.its had new slave cylinder and been bled.thanks

Hi John
Welcome to the forum. Are you sure the slave cylinder is pushing the clutch arm? When I fitted my replacement engine I forgot to tie the clutch arm back. Because of this the slave cylinder... 'ram' I suppose its called dropped out of the cylinder.

hi mate yes all looks good on the slave.ive pressure on the pedal and the ram is pushing the arm fully back.pretty sure the friction disc is stuck to fly wheel.cheers for ur reply

You're probably right. You can free the plate sometimes but it's hit and miss. First thing to do is warm the car right up. Run it for at least 30 mins so the heat gets through the flywheel. Then switch off put in gear take off handbrake and start the car so it pulls away on the starter. Keep your foot on the clutch because sometimes this will free it. Try and knock it into 2nd and then 3rd. Wait till you're on a long straight stretch of road and try and hit the accelerator, brake and clutch all at the same time. I know it sounds a bit weird but I've done this many times usually successfully. The more speed you get up the better. Make sure you warm the car up first. Of course if your clutch is worn it'll probably strip the linings off instead of releasing, but that's a chance you take. If the clutch is worn you'll have to take it apart anyway!

hi mate thanks for the advice.wish i had this a bit earlier as started to strip down this morn.can i just ask is the release bearing attached to the forks or is it just free to slide.thanks again for advice though i shall remember that for future reference but hopefully i wont need it

the release bearing sits over the forks, and i think thats probably your issues rather than it all being stuck together.

did you release the bearing from the pressure plate and put onto the shaft/on the forks before you mounted the gearbox back to the engine?

Ry

hi mate yes done all that.ive stripped down got box nearly off but wont come out of engine bay think it stuck on the sub frame.can see realease bearing and it going back and forth with the clutch arm.im so close to getting it off but so far away lol.there was a stud at rear of box which was a right t$$t to get out.any tips how to get out of bay.cheers

er nope.just thought the forks move the bearing on and off the plate didnt realise it had to be locked in

The trick to get the rear stud clear is jack the engine UP, onca it comes out of the hole rotate the box anti-clockwise, pull it out with the diff uppermost. Take the stud out before you put it back!

As regards the bearing, the information from bulldog refers to a pull type clutch. I was'nt aware your car has one fitted, I thought it was a normal push type. You'll be able to tell!

yes mate think it push type.bearing goes forward when arm moves with the slave

No, I just mean jack the engine up a bit, and you can wriggle the stud out of the engine. Twist the gearbox so the diff is uppermost and drop out of the side underneath. Before you put it back draw the stud out of the box and replace it later. At various stages raising and lowering the engine an inch or two enables you to get your angles right.

ok mate thanks for that.be friday before get at it again ill let you no how get on.cheers again

Back