Technical Bravo 1.2 16V Idle Problem Engine Cut Out

Currently reading:
Technical Bravo 1.2 16V Idle Problem Engine Cut Out

kickassjay

Hi there,

I have a bravo 1.2 16V, runs fine for first 15-20 mins, but after that, when coming to a stop the engine sometimes cuts out because the revs drop too low, and also when in traffic stood still, the car struggles to idle because the revs are so low, drops to around 400-300rpm, also when braking or steering it causes the engine to cut out, which could lead to an accident.

ive looked for ages for a solution but nobody seems to know the answer, had this problem for about 6 months.

ive cleaned the throttle body, and had the ECU scanned but it hasnt logged any faults,

im thinking its an electrical prolem because it only does it after about 15 mins into a jurney, when the engine is warm.

Anybody any ideas?

many thanks (y)

Sometimes the problem is the butterfly position sensor. I give him a blame because i have heard that the specific sensor in the specific type of engine, they are a little sensitive. You can have a similar from a scrapyard and have a run and see if it is that. Tip. If you put another one let the car to learn it. Put the ignition key to the position MAR for about a minute and then close it. After that start the car.

crank sensor. i'd bet money on it.

if you give any mechanic those symptoms and he doesnt scream crank sensor then you should be suspicious.

Last edited:
On our polish forum usual answer for problems with idle run is to check and clean the idle-air-duck valve and clean the throttle duct.
(I'm not sure if I have used the right english names of the units)

Actually sometimes my new owned Brava if started on cold engine runs from 900 to 1200 rpm, an I know that is the problem if the idle-air-duck valve (it's dirty I think)
When the temperature of engine is right - the idle run is fine.

Hi, my brava has jst developed the exact same problem cutting out when stopping at lights etc in traffic. Idle drops to about 400-500 rpm sometimes cutting out other times increases rpm to about 700 rpm. have you resolved your problem and if so what fixed it.

got a bravo hgt 155 and had the exact same signs although when it would cut out it wouldnt start till the engine had cooled down basically the tdc or crank sensor was playing up cost 90 pound to fix got the sensor off the net and had fiat put it in

Back