General Brave new world

Currently reading:
General Brave new world

Many thanks popped out and purchased.....

How do you stop the crank turning? I only have crank and cam left in crankcase...
is it conventionally threaded or right handed?

Thanks in advance

Done
many thanks team...
I have exactly the same problem as Sean in that one of the cross head screws on the bearing housing has been "munched" previously, and isn't coming out without a fight.
Onwards...

Hello Andrew

If you don't mind, can you tell me who you insured and took out European cover with for the return journey? Also, in the end did you have to pay for shipping back to UK, or was this coved under the recovery policy?

Lastly, if driving back, how do the process work? Do you put temporary plates on the car in Italy, or do you use current plates and send these back to previous owner when in the UK? Does their V5 equivalent have a similar permanent export feature or do you have to get a special form in advanced?

Thanks in advance, and good luck with your 500 when it arrives back in UK. :)

Steve

Last edited:
Hi Steve
I was insured by Footman James including breakdown and recovery for europe.
They recovered me to a Fiat dealer.
I had the choice of being recovered to Calais over several days.
I had the details of a shipping agent who collected me - dropped me at a hotel and will be delivering the car this Saturday for a very reasonable fee.
The car wears the Italian plates that will be returned once a UK registration is issued.
I paid a 120Euro fee to transfer ownership from local Italian council office.
When in UK car needs MOT and £55 fee and Italian registration book
UK number issued - all good

Hooray!!!!!
the car is finally on my driveway!

Seems like its taken age - but now the fun can start in earnest.......lets see what I've bought......

Attachments

• IMG_6035.JPG
    IMG_6035.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 45
so far it appears to be a "good 'un"

Got to decide whether to put the 5 speed conversion this afternoon......gearbox re-build next week......;)

new engine & gearbox in......
repair original brakes whilst i build disc conversion - stick it in for a test......and wait to see what they say

:D

some help with the 5 speed conversions available please...
Nanni one appears to have more parts for the same money....than the FD Ricambi one....

Attachments

• 5speed2.jpg
    5speed2.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 5speed1.JPG
    5speed1.JPG
    19.1 KB · Views: 22
Dashboard ordered - its going to be great...5 clocks...Revs, Speed, Oil press., Oil Temp & fuel level.
Bought a bare new aluminium shell from Italy and have been collecting clocks from across Europe for the past month - no Chinese copies - nice dusty originals....
this it what i'm hoping for.........maybe without the chrome "bling"rings..

Attachments

• clock1.JPG
    clock1.JPG
    163.4 KB · Views: 20
Hi could i have a little help please.
Trying to work out whats working and whats not, i realise that I have no idea what switches do what in the car.
Its a 500L 1971
Two column levers what do they do?
Three dash lever switches, from left to right what do the do please?
When i drove car the electrics seemed to get over hot....so further investigations needed........will be fitting an alternator so changes required but maybe a new loom is the best way forward??

Regards

It's amazing how often this simple question comes up and the more so when looking at the exotic questions you have been asking previously Andrew.

The basics I can answer:

Dash switches left to right...1. internal illumination for speedo binnacle (only works when switch 2 operated), 2.master switch for external lighting, 3.wiper motor. All active in the down position.

Small column lever: indicators

Longer column lever(dashboard switch must be operated first): up..sidelights only. In your case probably to the indicator units but in UK spec to ones fitted in the headlight unit.
mid...dipped headlights
bottom...main beam
Pull towards you for flash.

I you turn the ignition key in reverse from the starting direction and then activate the main toggle switch for the lights, on the dash, the lights should also operate for parking.

Andrew, I can't believe that you aren't tempted to try for an MOT ASAP and to get the car running as well as it can given that it has some "issues". From what you say it seems like you have the potential for a running restoration. Wouldn't it be great to be able to have the first-hand experience to be able to compare what the modifications will do to the car's performance?

Last edited:
Hi Peter
the car currently doesn't run.
Gearbox is seized.
Front nearside brake cylinder has let go.
Electricals seem a bit hazy - no wipers and when I did drive it - most items didn't work as designed.
This was not how it was meant to be - but i'm adaptable.
Repair standard brakes - disc conversion later.
New 5 speed box
New engine
Sort electricals
MOT
Drive
Drive
Improve
Drive
:)

Hi Peter
the car currently doesn't run.
Gearbox is seized.
Front nearside brake cylinder has let go.
Electricals seem a bit hazy - no wipers and when I did drive it - most items didn't work as designed.
This was not how it was meant to be - but i'm adaptable.
Repair standard brakes - disc conversion later.
New 5 speed box
New engine
Sort electricals
MOT
Drive
Drive
Improve
Drive
:)

Andrew
Apart from those minor details.:D

What's the body work like?Is it all solid and paintwork in good nick?

Tony

Back