General Brake pads crumble!

Currently reading:
General Brake pads crumble!

Theflyingpostman

I had a rear brake conversion from HGT to my Punto 1.9JTD 5 door. I had a EBC greenstuff in the first place it were a good pads but it had a short life and when it start to bedding in it become feel like a soft. When it was due to replace, I was advisor to buy Mintex because they were highly recommend and best review.

Roughly 6,000 miles later, today when I apply the brake it doesn't feel right on the driver side rear, when I got on the way to home I hear a noise from the rear wheel something is lose and touch the disc like vibrate.

I just found out the pad surface has coming off! I was disappointment that Mintex are not a really good made what they have been telling me.

I was wonder what is wrong with this, is the glue can't stick at the high temperature? I have a normal disc not the one with drilled or grooves.

So the EBC and Mintex is off on my list. What about the Ferodo or Brembo are they any good?

Attachments

• n.jpg
    n.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
I had a rear brake conversion from HGT to my Punto 1.9JTD 5 door. I had a EBC greenstuff in the first place it were a good pads but it had a short life and when it start to bedding in it become feel like a soft. When it was due to replace, I was advisor to buy Mintex because they were highly recommend and best review.

Roughly 6,000 miles later, today when I apply the brake it doesn't feel right on the driver side rear, when I got on the way to home I hear a noise from the rear wheel something is lose and touch the disc like vibrate.

I just found out the pad surface has coming off! I was disappointment that Mintex are not a really good made what they have been telling me.

I was wonder what is wrong with this, is the glue can't stick at the high temperature? I have a normal disc not the one with drilled or grooves.

So the EBC and Mintex is off on my list. What about the Ferodo or Brembo are they any good?
I really dislike mintex, Thank you for your post and pictures.

Pagid excellent
Ferodo excellent
Brembo excellent

When you fit new pads don't try to speed up bedding in by braking more-with no racing pads that will just ruin them.

Drive a little more gently than normal for a couple of hundred miles , especially if not fitting new discs with new pads . This will bed the pads in correctly.

Best wishes
Jack

Last edited:
Thank you Jack, I will try the Ferodo, I did not drive like a petrolhead when I fitted new pads! I could not believe what a rubbish pads after 6,000 miles, it should be last 15,000 to 20,000 if drive steadily. My previous pads it was on a Peugeot 306 it went to 18,000 miles this is how all the pads it should have last.

Last edited:
Yes it is rusty under the pads that is not a good (n) it was change round May 2019! I live in Essex where it don't rain much as the north!

Last edited:
Back