Technical Brake Lamp Failure

Currently reading:
Technical Brake Lamp Failure

well is prayed the white plastic terminals and left them to dry and when i started the car today im still getting the BRKE.LAMP FAIL error and the yellow triangle on the dashboard display....im sure i have the right bulbs installed and all the connections look clean and tidy. any other ideas guys please

Is it always warning of the same side causing the problem?

I'd check the integrity of your earth from the rear light cluster to the car body
You may be able to see the problem straight away
Put your side lights on and indicator on that side. If you see the side light dimming in time with the indicator then there's your problem, poor earth

But that's difficult to see sometimes so a more accurate way is to turn sidelights on (or brakelights) and check voltage from the earth in the cluster to a good earth on the car body. Anything above say 0.3v will show a poor earth

Last edited:
I'd check the integrity of your earth from the rear light cluster to the car body
Put your side lights on and indicator on that side. If you see the side light dimming in time with the indicator then there's your problem, poor earth

But that's difficult to see sometimes so a more accurate way is to turn sidelights on (or brakelights) and check voltage from the earth in the cluster to a good earth on the car body. Anything above say 0.3v will show a poor earth

I'm sorry Deckchair5 but i'm a noob when it comes to car DIY. Can you explain this procedure in more detail please? a diagram would be great if possible..cheers

im just going to try your side light and indicator suggestion. I don't know how to check the integrity of the earth from the rear light cluster to the car body.

update...no dimming of side lights with indicators

off subject slightly, but im also after a sun visor drivers side for my wife fiat punto 1.2 2002. where is the best place to get parts at cheap prices, who do you guys use?

Last edited:
It's much easier than it sounds

In theory your earth line from the cluster should have no voltage on it as it's connected to the car body, but if there is a poor contact on the earth line then there will be a higher than normal resistance and a measurable voltage on the earth= bad news. In reality there will be some small resistance and therefore some small voltage but anything over 0.3v would point to a problem

earth test.JPG
Take the cluster out (you're getting used to that now):)
Remove the bulb mount from the lens and reconnect the wiring connector
Find the earth circuit, the track that has no resistance between it and the black wire terminal (that'll be the earth) now with something turned on in the cluster like sidelights then the earth will be being used so check voltage now between the earth there and a nice shiny metal object on the car body nearby. You want to see as near to 0v as you can. If the voltage is too high then you need to improve the cluster's earth connection on the car body

Have a look in the Stilo guides for how to check your battery earth and you'll get the idea

Last edited:
Is it always warning of the same side causing the problem?

That's the problem Deckchair5 the display does not indicate as to which side the fail is occuring on. I have watched the display very closely numerous times to see if it does and it does not. If i remove other bulbs it indicates to which side the bulb is missing and what the bulb does etc...

ps anyone able to point me in the right direction regarding fiat used or new parts please?

cheers

Last edited:
the display does not indicate as to which side the fail is occuring on
Ah! In that case the fault won't be on either side or at the clusters at the rear but down the middle so it's more likely a fault at the brake switch or possibly even the wiring to/from brake switch to the body computer. Try a new fuse in there first though if you haven't already done so

Last edited:
the display does not indicate as to which side the fail is occuring on
Ah! In that case the fault won't be on either side or at the clusters at the rear but down the middle so it's more likely a fault at the brake switch or possibly even the wiring to/from brake switch to the body computer. Try a new fuse in there first though if you haven't already done so

Replace fuse??? could it be that easy! righto will get onto that Sunday and let you know how it goes mate.

anyone able to point me in right direction for fiat parts new and old please?

cheers

Well Deckchair5 i checked the maintenance book and located two fuses under the dashboard (F37=Braking Light/third stop light under lights in book & F35 signal from switch on brake pedal for electronic control units under services in book) which mentioned brakes etc..and i changed both of them. the problem remains though :mad:

Last edited:
Never mind, it was a cheap and easy shot:)
Next thing I'd investigate is the brake light switch itself, it signals when the brake pedal is up as well as when it's in use so a problem there would trigger a fault. Many people have needed to replace their brake light switch (me included) as it's not the most robust design

Pull off the switch connector and see what happens when you turn ignition on

Last edited:
Never mind, it was a cheap and easy shot:)
Next thing I'd investigate is the brake light switch itself, it signals when the brake pedal is up as well as when it's in use so a problem there would trigger a fault. Many people have needed to replace their brake light switch (me included) as it's not the most robust design

Pull off the switch connector and see what happens when you turn ignition on

Ok guess you knew this was coming:eek:...where is this brake light switch and connector located mate? do i just literally pull it off? or do i need to do a twist n pull or turn n pull etc

cheers

The connector just pulls off but you may need to take switch out to get to it and to test its operation with a multimeter at the workbench

wont get at that till weekend now..lets you know how it goes

ta

Hi all. Sorry to post in an old thread but thought it to be better than making a new one.

I have this same problem. ''Brake lamp fail'' NOT bulb light fail where it points to either side. It generally comes on every time I turn on the car. All the lights work perfectly to my knowledge.

I've replaced both bulbs with the correct replacements and have tried to clean the connections with electrical contact cleaner. I've had a go at cleaning the earthing point next to the battery. Is this where the light clusters earth? I would have thought they earth somewhere on the car body next to the clusters?

I think the problem is probably due to a previous owner cutting into the wires near the clusters with some wire splitting clips (for a trailer or something). All of the wires on the nearside have cuts in them and one on the offside has it. I taped up the splits but do you think this could cause my problem? I'm just after some opinions before I go messing with the wires further.

Back