Technical Brake issues on my 08 plate m/j

Currently reading:
Technical Brake issues on my 08 plate m/j

Driving home tonight i braked,thankfully near to home to feel little or no response from the pedal.The brakes are normally very keen.The pedal went nearly all the way to the top.It feels like it was braking without the servo?Discs,pads and fluids are fine,can anyone offer me any advice/similar experiences please?

Driving home tonight i braked,thankfully near to home to feel little or no response from the pedal.The brakes are normally very keen.The pedal went nearly all the way to the top.It feels like it was braking without the servo?Discs,pads and fluids are fine,can anyone offer me any advice/similar experiences please?

Are you saying that the brake pedal went all the way to the 'floor' ?
How do you know that the brake fluid is fine ?

Basically it felt like the brakes were working without a servo,nearly to the floor with little effect.I thought initially that the brakes were just hot.Upon trying the car later the problem was still there.(The brake fluid was replaced on the last service-Sept 2011)Thanks for the response.

Many years ago I experienced the same symptoms on my (unservoed) Renault 10. As Venters said, it was the master cylinder seal. Maxi is rightys, if the servo fails, it just makes the pressure required to stop much higher, but the pedal travel shouldn't be affected.

Many years ago I experienced the same symptoms on my (unservoed) Renault 10. As Venters said, it was the master cylinder seal. Maxi is rightys, if the servo fails, it just makes the pressure required to stop much higher, but the pedal travel shouldn't be affected.
Yup. I had a connector on a servo fail on my 504. The pedal was rock hard and simply due to the fact that I didn't have the power I would say I lost about 80-90% of my ability to brake.

Quick update,the car was recovered into my local Fiat main dealer.The upshot was the rear brake cylinder had seized,took out the shoes and cooked the brake fluid.Being repaired as we talk plus they are they are sorting out my resonating engine cover!

Back